free website stats program Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC

Well the exact same thing happen to me last year when I had my rear tire change at the dealership. it happen after i drove for 500 km, and it was obvious that the pad was not clip into position properly. I was just lucky that when it happen, i was close to home and when the rear wheel jam, I was going 70kmh but on a straight stretch of road. I did fix it myself and did called the dealer after and guess how it ended, wasn't threre fault according to them. I drive a 08 FLSTC. took picture of it that I attach.

Well the exact same thing happen to me last year when I had my rear tire change at the dealership. it happen after i drove for 500 km, and it was obvious that the pad was not clip into position properly. I was just lucky that when it happen, i was close to home and when the rear wheel jam, I was going 70kmh but on a straight stretch of road. I did fix it myself and did called the dealer after and guess how it ended, wasn't threre fault according to them. I drive a 08 FLSTC. took picture of it that I attach.

Funny how its never there fault, they need to man up:s

Trying to upload them.

You can see on the pic the inside pad is out and blocked the rear wheel, also that the rear disc is discolored from the heat.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
I do NOT advise taking the pads or even one pad out to dismount and remount the wheel. Not easy enough to see what is going on particularly on the inside side of the caliper. With a center lift, this should not be necessary. Just work at it. Spread the pads as wide as possible with a putty knife, retracting the pistons all the way into the caliper on both sides. Patience and planning count on this one. And when the wheel is back on, depress the pedal until it is completely firm and the wheel will not turn BEFORE starting the engine.

TQ

I agree. When I changed my rear tire, I just removed the caliper as an assembly and bungee corded it to the frame. I installed a block of wood between the pads in case I stepped on the brake but I never removed the pin.

Unless you changed the pads at the same time (?)

The pads were not changed. He just pulled the caliper off the rotor and put it back after the tire was reinstalled.

He came highly recommended by the store I bought the tire from.

I put over 800 miles on the bike without any sign of a brake problem?

I am going to be checking my pads everytime I ride now.

Agree, remember, the DEALER did the work on my bike cause i do not have the tools to change a tire myself, and I drove it for 500k before it came out.

Agree, remember, the DEALER did the work on my bike cause i do not have the tools to change a tire myself, and I drove it for 500k before it came out.

I just can't imagine not hearing or smelling a problem for the first 450 KM you rode before it let go. The brake pad had to be dragging somewhat. (?). Looking at my setup on my 2009, the retainer pin would have to fall out or break for the pad to come out. Strange indeed..

If the square end of the pad was not in the slot, how on earth could you get the caliper back on? Something just does not make sense. Maybe my 2009 is totally different.

Well, all I did to fix it was to loose the retainer pin and push the square end all the way back into place. I had put over 25000km since, had another rear tire and rear pad change a little over 10000km and I never had any problem with it, so I don't think it's a problem with the system, but it was just not mount properly.

Well, all I did to fix it was to loose the retainer pin and push the square end all the way back into place. I had put over 25000km since, had another rear tire and rear pad change a little over 10000km and I never had any problem with it, so I don't think it's a problem with the system, but it was just not mount properly.

Wow. I really would have thought if the square end of the pad was not in place, it would either make a racket, the pads would drag and make some smoke, or the caliper would sit cockeyed. I guess not. It is something I will indeed check from this moment on.

Back