free website stats program Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC

Recon Dad

I have a 2009 Softail FLSTC. The dealer did the 1,000 and 5,000 mile service.

At 5,800 I had an independent with years of HD experience and a very good reputation change the rear tire.

I was riding thru the Pa. mountains on Sunday and lost the rear brake. The pedal went to the floor and I tried to pump up the pedal but no luck. I was thinking of going another 20 miles to town using the front brake only.

Lucky for me I decided to pull over on a safe spot in the mountains to check it out. The rear brakes then locked up and I could not move the bike.

Had it towed to the Harley Dealer. Harley Dealer noticed the new rear tire and says when they changed the rear tire the brake pad on the bottom was not inserted in the spring clip and slid down. It is held by a pin on top. When I hit the brake the first time the caliper piston was not in contact with the brake pad and popped out causing the pedal to go down to the floor. The pad then wedged into the rotor and locked up?

I rode for two months and over 800 miles since the tire was changed and had no noise or problem with the rear brakes?

The bike now needs new pads, rotor and a caliper. Dealer wanted around $450 to fix it. Already paid $250 for the tow.

Is this a HD problem or do you think the tire change caused it? The independent has the bike and is fixing it on his own dime.

Just a heads up if you are changing your own tire to check the brake pads.

Is this a HD problem or do you think the tire change caused it? .

I really don't think the Indy would be fixing it on his dime if it was a known HD problem. My guess it was from the tire change and the Indy just made a mistake. It happens.

Sounds like the Indy saw the error of his ways and is making good on the repairs. Good for him.

If the Indy pays for the tow all the better but if not I wonder if your insurance would?

Bought me a 2010 Fatboy low and on my first ride the rear brake locked up not even 150 miles was on the bike, messed up the whole rear brakes, dealer replaced everything under warranty, the reason given to me was the pin was not installed correctly and pad dropped down.

Bought me a 2010 Fatboy low and on my first ride the rear brake locked up not even 150 miles was on the bike, messed up the whole rear brakes, dealer replaced everything under warranty, the reason given to me was the pin was not installed correctly and pad dropped down.

Saw your post so I am asking this question.

The HD Dealer has an excellent reputation and bikes travel over 200 miles to have them service them.

The independent also has an excellent reputation and is the best dyno tuner in my area.

The independent is fixing my bike to keep his reputation but I am not sure he agrees with the dealers findings.

Not related to the brake problem, but IRT towing...did you cal HOG? You're automatically a member for the 1st two years (w/std warranty coverage) so the tow would've been covered. Maybe give HD HOG a call & see if they'll reimburse???

Not related to the brake problem, but IRT towing...did you cal HOG? You're automatically a member for the 1st two years (w/std warranty coverage) so the tow would've been covered. Maybe give HD HOG a call & see if they'll reimburse???

Thanks for the advice.

The problem was I did not have my HOG card with me and I was in a very rural area between two mountains and the cell phone service was poor.

A couple guys on FLH's stopped and knew of a towing company that towed motorcycles. One guy drove 5 miles up the next mountain and called the towing company and made all the arrangements for me.

Without him I would still be sitting there.

The indy shouldn't have had to mess with the pin in question to replace rear tire.

I agree. When I changed my rear tire, I just removed the caliper as an assembly and bungee corded it to the frame. I installed a block of wood between the pads in case I stepped on the brake but I never removed the pin.

Unless you changed the pads at the same time (?)

Now that I think about it, if you have the 17" 200mm rear tire, the indy might have pulled the pads to get the rear wheel off. The first time I did one, I followed the manual and it was tough, I mean really tough, had to push pistons and pads all the way back in and still had problems.
Since then I remove the caliper from the mount bracket, it makes the job a piece of cake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the specs I've found on the web, you have a 150 rear, so no reason to pull the pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back