free website stats program Rear Brake Switch Recall and Front Tire Cupping | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Switch Recall and Front Tire Cupping

bobbeidel

Took my bike in Saturday to have the rear brake switch replace under the recall. They did it in about 30 minutes - no problem. The service man also notice that my front tire was cupped (6800 miles on the Dunlop 407) and informed me that it could be replaced at a pro-rated price depending on the thread depth. He checked depth and that will replace the tire with the 408F for half price plus labor ( $150 plus $65). Tire is normally $300. I decided to do it. Only thing I noticed with the tire was some slight vibration on low speed cornering. I knew the tire was cuupped but thought with no warranty they would not do anything.

Bottom line is the dealer (Finks in Zanesville, OH) is good to say the least. ANd, I will get a new front tire for a better price. Hope they have all the issues resolved with the 408F.

PS - I love my 2009 Road Glide !!!!!!

Based on your experience with the dealership, you might want to add to the "Good Dealers & Experience" thread. :newsmile048:

I've seen D408's for less than $200.00 on Ebay. But you don't know what you're getting. I would ask for the date of manufacture of the tire for sure.

My front tire was replaced under warranty @ about 6k miles because of cupping (no charge to me). At about 11K I noticed that my rear is also cupping but the dealer would not replace. I have about 15k on it now and can get some more miles out of the rear. On the Dunlop site they said to run a couple more pounds of air in those tires on the touring bikes because they are so heavy, so I run 38 psi in the front and 42 in the rear. I don't know if cupping is a safety issue or not and the dealer service dept would not give an opinion on that. It sure is irritating to hear the sounds they make when cornering though.

The tire was prorated at half price. The labor was $65.00 which was probably a hour. Remember that tire is at dealership price which are usally about 30% higher than internet pricing...
The bottom line is that a customer, while in for a recall, was offered a discount on a replacement tire and thought it was a good bargain. Plus it saved him time in having tire replaced at a later date to avoid more down time....

Back