free website stats program Rear Brake Problem on 09 FLHR | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Problem on 09 FLHR

Stormrider51

Here's the situation. Brand new 09 Road King. Just under 500 miles on the clock. Fired it up this evening to leave work and the rear brake made noises like a brake will if overheated. Sort of a squeal/scrape noise when the brake is applied. It had been parked in a parking garage out of the sun all day. It didn't get better coming home. The only other details I can think of to add is that the brakes are non-ABS and that it has seemed like the rear brake didn't have as much power as it should from the moment I rode it away from the dealership. The rotor is tight, meaning that it hasn't come loose from the wheel. I know that it will have to go back to the dealer but anyone got any ideas as to what could cause this?

Thanks in advance.
John

the brembo brake squeak and squeal and make drag sounds from what i have had and heard from other bikes.. a change in pads fixs it or you can let HD chamfer the pads so it comes right back in 10-20 miles

What pads did you use Lyndall?

Havent changed mine yet .. but Lyndall is the top choice and others have used EBC to make it stop they got so annoyed.. i just turn up the tunes

I will make a change when i do tires

Last edited:
I rented a 2009 Ultra and 2009 Road King and the brakes were the best thing about the bikes. Silky smooth, silent and powerful when you need them.

I plan to swap a set on my 2001 Road King someday when they become plentiful (read: cheap) on eBay.

When you first took delivery,how did you ride.Did you take your time braking or did you brake hard to see how well it would stop? If you did you could have caused the squeeling noise.Below is a tip on seating new brakes
Breaking In New Pads - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Doesnt matter steve i have been easy on my brakes and they were making noise before 300 miles there's even a tech bulletin around here for the problem. they also add a pasted to the backing plates of the pads which don't work

Rear Brake Noise 08-09 Touring - Harley Davidson Community

I have put the EBC Kevlar/Organic pads on the rear of my 08 Ultra. (OEM's wore out same time as the rear tire) The "Touring Squeal" went away. I just ordered a set for the front.

Back