free website stats program Rear Brake Pad Dragging | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Pad Dragging

a_myrv

On '09 Sportster Iron 883 with 2K miles the rear brake pad has started to drag. I only notice it by the noise it makes when I back the bike out getting ready to ride. It doesn't seem to be making a lot of drag but it still seems like the pad is not relaxing and going back into the caliper.

Is this something to be concerned about? Should I flush the MC and caliper for the rear brake system?

I am new to Harleys and Sportsters so y'alls guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan in TN

This is one way I have used in the past...

I would test to see if the pads are really dragging by taking the bike for a ride for a mile or so and ONLY use the front brake. Stop the bike & feel the rear rotor with your fingers. Careful! If the calipers are really dragging, you will burn you fingers so fast you won't believe it. You should be able to touch the rotor without burning your fingers.

If you can touch the rotor with your fingers I would say you have nothing to worry about. Caliper piston actually relax like you said. They really don't mechanically retract.

Hoop!

On '09 Sportster Iron 883 with 2K miles the rear brake pad has started to drag. I only notice it by the noise it makes when I back the bike out getting ready to ride. It doesn't seem to be making a lot of drag but it still seems like the pad is not relaxing and going back into the caliper.

Is this something to be concerned about? Should I flush the MC and caliper for the rear brake system?

I am new to Harleys and Sportsters so y'alls guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan in TN

How bad does it drag?If you are able to, elevate the rear wheel off the ground,and give it a spin.All disc brakes drag to a certain extent,so your wheel wont freewheel,but neither will it be all that hard to turn.

If it is hard to spin,then maybe you should get some rubber and paint friendly brake cleaner and spray the pistons.Then use a soft cloth-taking care to NOT get any fibres caught between the pistons and rubber boots-and carefully clean and polish the pistons to remove road grit and crud.This will help them to retract, IF they are binding.

Check out the self help section;or alternatively check out 'Lyndall Racing Pads' site.They have a great article on cleaning pistons and boots.

I am not sure if I mentioned how I determined it might be dragging. I park it in the garage when not riding and then back it out by pushing it out. While sitting on the bike and pushing it backwards I hear a slight groan or similar noise of the brake pad material rubbing against the brake disc. As a result I thought I would bring it up sincce I am new to the bike. I wouldn't think a caliper piston would be locked causing the pad to drag and then giving abnormal wear but ya never know.

I'll try the riding test with rotor temp and post my results. And, I am just a little gunshy about going to the dealer. This is probably a simple thing and maybe a non-issue, therefore, I would expect to be told "nothing's wrong with it".

Thanks for the help.

Your sqeak may be the belt. If the belt gets dirt and dust in it, it will cause a sqeak. You can use a mild soap and a brush to clean the teeth.
Kemo

Alan, as Biscuit says, most disc brake calipers are not double action (forced opening as well as closure) so a light drag (swishing sound) may be heard as the piston pressure is gone, and it is the runout of the disc that gently nudges open the pads pushing the piston into the bore slightly. And yes, if the disk is hot or you have a heavy drag (moaning sound) you might want to look in the Self Help section and review Glider' EZ Caliper service tip...

Well, I have recently noticed the dragging sound has stopped so I am not sure if it was the brake pads or the belt or what. I was concerned if the pads were dragging the rear wheel could be out of alignment.

Thanks,

Alan

Back