free website stats program Rear brake lite switch | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake lite switch

Billbo

Here I go again .........
I have a few things to ask here
I have codes C1214 and C1094 and PO572. From what I gather on here and internet, and the bike itself, my brake lite stays on when iginition is on. I looked and the front brake switch plunger is moving in and out as it's supposed too. (not stuck)
1) do I remove the two wires on the REAR brake switch to see if the lite goes off? If I do, and the lite goes out, should the front brake lever still make the lite go ON - assuming it's working properly?
2) if I replace the rear switch, does brake fluid leak out?
3) And lastly, I have read HD recalled these rear brake lite switches back in 2011, my bike is 2011, if my switch has never been replaced, should HD do that?
4) can I just purchase a new switch and install myself (see #2 again please)

Thanks all
Bill

Dealer should be able to see if the switch has been replaced using your vin .
If you have ABS I wouldn't change the switch myself.

If front brake switch is open ,not pushed,the brake light will be on.If You have a wiring diagram and an ohmmeter,You can check continuity of either switch with out having to substitute them.Switch open infinite.Switch closed 0.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is first is call your local dealer and see if your scoot was included in the recall. If so problem may be solved.

Check your VIN number on the Harley recall site to see if your bike qualifies for the free switch swap. Hopefully, it does. My 2008 did not. If not, yes, you can replace it yourself. I replaced mine with a Duralast number RB401 from Autozone, 8 bucks. I bled the brakes at the same time and replaced with fresh fluid, but the swap can be done without bleeding (though probably not recommended). When you remove the switch, the fluid may leak one or two drops, but mine didn't leak out at all. Info on another HD forum states you can push down on the brake pedal very slightly as you install the new switch such that a few drops of fluid come out and no air gets in the line as you tighten the switch in by hand, but I can't vouch for that. If you opt to replace it yourself, you will need a rag to catch any drops of fluid, a pair of needlenose pliers to remove the wires from the old switch, support the block that the switch threads into with a 5/8" wrench, and remove the OEM switch with a 17mm wrench or socket (it's close quarters in there). Install the new switch (if using the Autozone part, you need a 7/8" wrench or socket), and put Permatex high thread sealant on the threads before doing so. Hope this helps.

That's Permatex high TEMPERATURE sealant. Sorry. Also, the method to push on the pedal as you install the switch is ONLY if you aren't going to bleed the line.

Have you changed out switch housings or grips?? If so you may want to look again at the front brake light switch. One of the faults you have is the front brake light switch.
Do you have a aftermarket rear light controller for turn signal to also be brake lights? Disconnect and reconnect to factory harness and see what you have.

well, I thought I responded to this but I dont see it this morning. SO.... I do have an OPEN recall on the switch and HD will replace it for me. I also did have HD install new handle bars back about 2-3 months ago. They obviously changed out the right grip too. THEY DID NOT however, check recalls and change out the rear brake lite switch. I will mention that they just installed the new bars but I really dont think that is a problem cuz it's all worked fine since then about 2-3 months or so. No check engine lite until now and brake lite is staying ON when switch is turned ON. I can see the front brake lever switch plunger is moving in and out as its supposed too. Hopefully, that part is all OK.

Once again all good information and advice and much appreciated. I will follow up after I go to HD for new switch.

Bill

Good to hear your scoot is covered in the recall. Hopefully the problem will be solved on HD'S dime.:s

Back