free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed the correlation between the failed switches and the "ridiculously" hot and "EPA-appeasing" catalytic converters? I have taken infrared temperature reading in excess of 500 degrees (F) prior to replacing the headers. With this heat source sitting an inch or less from the brake switch (under a stock configuration), the pending problems almost seem like a "no brainer."

To those of you who have actually experienced the failure, were you running the stock header pipes at the time?

I'm going to get mine done, as mine went out a few weeks ago (glad I waited to get the new part). I'm running true duals for the past 10 months, and the bracket almost looks like a heat shield near the swtich and mine still failed. Now I ran the stock head pipe since Dec 2008.

One thing to check:1) new part has beveled edges and not sharp edges and 2) rear brakes need to be bled. If they feel spongey, bring it right back. It's too easy for the tech to just pull the old one, screw in the new one and never do the brake bled or if they do, do a poor job at it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed the correlation between the failed switches and the "ridiculously" hot and "EPA-appeasing" catalytic converters? I have taken infrared temperature reading in excess of 500 degrees (F) prior to replacing the headers. With this heat source sitting an inch or less from the brake switch (under a stock configuration), the pending problems almost seem like a "no brainer."

To those of you who have actually experienced the failure, were you running the stock header pipes at the time?

Yes, stock header pipes on my 2009 Ultra Classic (just to answer the question), however the MoCo is responsible for designing a safe product with whatever mandates are placed upon them in order to sell their bikes.

Even the best designs can present unforseen failures after a period of use, and the MoCo is showing responsibility in this recall. However I am dismayed that my brake light was inactive for several days.:( I'm still not certain if it was stuck on (that's what the mechanic said), or not working only when using the rear brake. Either way....

A worthy querry and observation none-the-less!

p.s., I just noticed my response posted before I was done (operator error), sorry for that but I wanted to answer the question and add my observation in its entirety. (sorry y'all)

Took the cat off (out) my 2010 Road Glide.No heat problem.Switch is still good but will take it to dealer for the recall.Better safe than sorry.26k on her with only 1 problem(lever at trans came loose) Dealer fixed as soon as I pulled in.

Folks, I started this string last year when my brake switch went out - very noticably with a huge plume of smoke. Now I see the recall come out on the bike. Looked up my VIN and sure enough my bike is on the recall. Pulled out the receipt from when my dealer repaired it last time (the covered the cose) and called the shop to ask if I need to bring it in. The guy on the phone said no because the replaced it with the new part.

Really now, what are the chances that last year....nerly a year before the recall.....they just happened to have a new and improved brake switch? I'm calling foul and driving into the dealer next chance I get.

Folks, I started this string last year when my brake switch went out - very noticably with a huge plume of smoke. Now I see the recall come out on the bike. Looked up my VIN and sure enough my bike is on the recall. Pulled out the receipt from when my dealer repaired it last time (the covered the cose) and called the shop to ask if I need to bring it in. The guy on the phone said no because the replaced it with the new part.

Really now, what are the chances that last year....nerly a year before the recall.....they just happened to have a new and improved brake switch? I'm calling foul and driving into the dealer next chance I get.

I will bet that you should be refunded for repair and dealer needs to perform recall to be sure updated switch is installed. This is a safety recall. Has the dealer heard of LIABILITY?????

I will bet that you should be refunded for repair and dealer needs to perform recall to be sure updated switch is installed. This is a safety recall. Has the dealer heard of LIABILITY?????

like dbmg said, don't think the dealer wants to tangle with the MoCo on an issue like this. The problem with calling the service department of a dealer is (most times) you don't know who you're talking to and their replys tend to be generic and rehearsed.

I'm sure if you ride in and talk to the service manager he will comply....let us know either way! And thanks for your original post!

Called my dealer yesterday. Will have parts tomorrow (Wed). Set up appointment for Friday.:D
Also having Nitrogen put in tires. No rubber rot and inflation changes due to temp.changes
WAP.gif

Also having Nitrogen put in tires. No rubber rot and inflation changes due to temp.changes

It doesn't work as good as they say. Pressure still changed in tires with heat and I lost tire pressure just as fast as with plain air. I even used used "Liquid Air" 99.999% nitrogen. Not the home made stuff the dealer/tire stores use.
But if it's free, what the heck.

Back