free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

This post is very timely for me because I just installed the rear turn signal conversion kit which makes the rear turn signals operate not only as signals but running lights and brake lights as well. After I installed the kit I tested the system, when the front brake was applied the turn signals and brake light glowed with increased intensity, when applying the back brake nothing happened, the rear light and the signal lights functioned as running lights but no increase in brightness to indicate the brake had been applied. Rode down to MBHD and bought a new switch $19.95, DOT4, $7.95 and plan on replacing the switch this weekend. Read up on how to test the switch via Hooples post from Dec., so I will do that prior to replacement...just to be sure.
I am wondering how much fluid will be lost when replacing the switch and when bleeding the system do you just continue to pump the brake until no more bubbles are seen in the bleeder discharge...and are their any tricks I should know about or any tips that may help the process along...thanks!

Easiest way is to vacuum-bleed the system. Absolutely no air gets in the system and the pedal is hard as a rock with little waste of fluid. Gets the nasty old DOT-4 out of the calipers well too.

This post is very timely for me because I just installed the rear turn signal conversion kit which makes the rear turn signals operate not only as signals but running lights and brake lights as well. After I installed the kit I tested the system, when the front brake was applied the turn signals and brake light glowed with increased intensity, when applying the back brake nothing happened, the rear light and the signal lights functioned as running lights but no increase in brightness to indicate the brake had been applied. Rode down to MBHD and bought a new switch $19.95, DOT4, $7.95 and plan on replacing the switch this weekend. Read up on how to test the switch via Hooples post from Dec., so I will do that prior to replacement...just to be sure.
I am wondering how much fluid will be lost when replacing the switch and when bleeding the system do you just continue to pump the brake until no more bubbles are seen in the bleeder discharge...and are their any tricks I should know about or any tips that may help the process along...thanks!

Brake Bleeding Tips - Harley Davidson Community this is worth a read

I realize its a flammable type.. Is there a good chaser to use between removing the 4 and adding 5.

Combustible,,maybe. But flammable? Where did you read that.

It is one thing to build a completely dry & virgin brake system from the ground up using 5. It's another thing to change. Why convert from 4 to 5? You will never get all the 4 out. Just my opinion but I think that would be a mistake.

Combustible,,maybe. But flammable? Where did you read that.

It is one thing to build a completely dry & virgin brake system from the ground up using 5. It's another thing to change. Why convert from 4 to 5? You will never get all the 4 out. Just my opinion but I think that would be a mistake.

You are correct Hoop, not flammable, thought I read it on the container. Do not think I will change out from 4 to 5 after reading properties of both and what could happen if mixed. Heading to HF this morning to pick up a brake bleeder.

Thanks Jack this is good information. It seems some folks don't like the DOT4, I realize its a flammable type and if mixed DOT5 will turn to jelly. So if I go to 5, I'll need to do a complete removal of the 4 prior to refilling with 5. Is there a good chaser to use between removing the 4 and adding 5. Thanks!

Just keep flushing , dot 5 will crystalize over time in our bikes:s

mine went bad on my 09 street glide at around 18 k thanks for the heat problem i will mask it so it dont happen in the middle of nowhere

Changed out the switch yesterday, (was going to do it over the weekend, but my wife had other plans). Anyway, the problem was the switch, and used the HF vacuum bleeder. Stayed with DOT4, just ran several volumes thru until it was clear. Thanks!

Back