free website stats program Rear brake heat up | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake heat up

ccrider74

Installed new pads and rotor (rear) on 01 flht everything seemed to be good, next morning on my way to work brakes heated up and faded......???

Checking for proper caliper operation is in order. Are caliper pistons sticking in their bores? Type brake caliper sticking in search box for some great advice on correcting problem and cleaning caliper pistons.

+1 on the above post. If you didn't thoroughly clean the pistons, they may be sticking in the bore, and dragging.

I had the same thing happen when I replaced a rear tire. Check the alignment of the brake caliper, there is a rubber pad on the forward part of the caliper that hooks the frame. If that rubber pad is not on correctly it will throw off the alignment of the caliper. I did a short ride just to check my rear tire and my rear brake was hot and you could smell it. Any longer ride and they say the brakes can fade because you are cooking the fluid in the caliper. Just something else to check, you wouldn't think it would make that big of difference but it does.

Check to see if the Caliper mount is fitted correctly in the slot on the swingarm? There's a little rubber bumper on the top of the caliper mount that needs to be fitted into the slot, if it's not it'll rub against the slot and cock the rear of the caliper towards the wheel causing the break pads to rub on the rotor. Also, make sure the axel spacers were installed correctly.

It is always a good thing to clean the pistons before pushing them back into the caliper. A great way to do this is with some brake clean and a nice thick cloth type shoelace. spray the piston and shoelace with brake clean wrap shoe-lace around pistons once, then pull ends back and forth. spray calipers/pistons again (a rinse coat) then push piston in. By doing this you are removing dirt and debris that may cause the pistins to jam in the sleeves of the caliper.

Sorry if I am the only one who does not know, but please explain Brake "FADE". Thanks

Brake fade is more associated with drum brakes but can effect over used disc brakes where as they are used the brake components heat up and become less effective
in otherwords takes a lot longer to slow the vehicle down

Brian

Sorry if I am the only one who does not know, but please explain Brake "FADE". Thanks

Brake fade can also be due to old fluid that has alot of moisture and copper content , the copper comes from the inner wall of the brake lines anything over 200PPM is considered bad and should be flushed:s

Installed new pads and rotor (rear) on 01 flht everything seemed to be good, next morning on my way to work brakes heated up and faded......???

Welcome CCrider74 and your first post at HDTimeline...likely as others have said, you replaced the pads, but when pushing the pistons back into the bores, you did not clean calipers and exposed piston with water and Brakleen so the debris was pushed into the bores contaminating, causing piston to stick. Take a look in the Self Help section on how to clean the pistons, but DO remove your fresh new pads to avoid contaminating them FIRST, put a paint stirring stick or single old pad to use as spacer for removed pads when you wash and disassemble as directed. Don't feel bad, brakes are one of those things that requires cleanliness and care when servicing. :57:

Back