Rear blinkers on a dyna

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by glidenwide, May 18, 2010.

1. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

I got some new lights. My question is, the new lights have 3 wires Black, Purple, and Blue. My bike only has 2, Black and purple. I hooked different configurations and i cant get them to do anything. What colors should go to what?

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Are they LED.
    My guess would be Black is common ground. Violet (purple) is running lights and Blue is turn signal.
    If you place 12 volts across Black(-) & Blue(+), it should be brighter than 12 volts across Black and Violet. Check it. (whichever is brighter is your turn signal wire)

3. rancid

rancid Active Member

violet is HD turn signal +, blue is HD running light

4. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

Thanks for the responses. I have everything hooked up right. Black to black blue and violet to violet. The right signal works the left one has nothing. Both front blinkers work. Any ideas?

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Trace the wiring for the left one back with a test light but before going crazy, furnish a ground wire from the NEG of the battery to the signal housing and see if it works then.

6. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

If I hook the light directly to a battery it works. I have no power to the connector in the rear tail light. Is there some type of blinker module that could have burnt up?

7. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

OK. I put a test light on it. on the inbound side i get 2 tabs thats stay lit and 1 blinks for the right and 1 that blinks for the left. On the outbound side of the module i get 2 that stay lit and 1 that blinks for the right but none blink for the left. it does click when the left side is turned on and off. i am assuming the module is bad. Am i right?

8. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

OK i think im wrong. Im trying to get a pic loaded up. in the mean time. What im talking about is a black box under the seat with 2 wires coming out and a male and a female 8 point connector. I dont think thats the TSM now that i look at the manual. Could it be a relay?

9. glidenwide

glidenwide Member

What is this?

Attached Files:

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Looks like the turn signal kit from H D that is a plug and play and makes your rear turn signals brake lights