free website stats program Rear Belt Life? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Belt Life?

Sheepdogmarine

Okay, so how long do they last? My manual just says to inspect it all the way to 50000 miles. I did not see where it ever said to replace it.

How many miles do you have on yours? I am going to change it this week because it has 28000 miles on it. Am I being too concerned? I know of a friend of a friend who broke one in Florida last year, not a simple roadside repair.

So what are your thoughts?

I have heard the average belt lasts around 30,000 miles.

Maybe our resident tech guys can verify this.

I would say you are just fine ,Have you inspected your belt , if there are no holes ,tears or fraying on the edge ,you are ok, Ive gone 70,000 plus on oem belt, Also if you do change your belt it is recommended to change your drive and rear pullys because just like the chain and sprocket set up, there is wear and by not changing them with a new belt you cut down the life of a new belt , the most common belt fault (break) is from large dabre such as a stone getting caught up in the belt and causes a hole or tear, once this happens its only a matter of time. So just inspect the wear and tention often and you should be fine.

On the uncovered drive belts the UV from the sun will destroy them faster than any normal riding will

I wish I could remember the article about drive systems. Said belts do wear, but should last 35,000 + miles. Where you ride is a big factor. The number one item listed for belt wear and failure was tension. A loose belt will wear at a greater rate than a slightly too tight. Bottom line was to keep the belt at or near the manufacturers specs.

My friend Billy Hettle is knocking on 200,000 on his 03 Deuce and is still on his second belt. He replaced the cam chain at 100,000 and thats all the new parts he's added. Billy babies his bike and does not ever dog it.

Back