free website stats program Rear Alert? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Alert?

So I saw this on Ebay, but no real website for it, and I've seen harleys in my area with this sort of feature, but anyone else know about them? How well do they work, etc etc?

eBay Motors: REAR ALERT BRAKE LIGHT DE-ACCELERATION FLASHER BLINKER (item 300203349358 end time Mar-07-08 19:03:19 PST)

A few of the guys I ride with have them...and they do make it easier to notice. The problems is we on bikes notice them...because I believe after riding a motorcycle it makes you a much better driver all around. Its makes the lights pulsate..all the rear lights ..his tour pak...his break lights . I use the Kuryakyn Panacea system which does this as well ...just seem the Panacea system is much brighter coz they are leds..My wife wants as much light as possible on the rear of the bike...lol

I bought this exact item months ago and didn't install it because I had a feeling I'd be trading in that bike, which I did. I fully intend to put it on my current bike after I make sure it doesn't violate any Georgia laws. I'm 99% sure it doesn't but I'm kind of paranoid about drawing any legal attention to myself. I even hate riding with my temporary tags since I know they stand out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, back to your question. If they work as advertised it should be a huge safety enhancement. Even now, if I see a vehicle approaching from the rear while I am stopped, I manually cycle my brake lights so this would do that for me!

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:
(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus
warning lamps shall be wired to flash;
(b) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for
signaling purposes;
(c) A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper
beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher
intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

S5.5.10 The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:
(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus
warning lamps shall be wired to flash;
(b) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for
signaling purposes;
(c) A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper
beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher
intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

Don't see where it says anything about the brake lights, but I can't believe we wouldn't have heard something by now if these were illegal.

What code exactly are you referencing in case I need to educate anyone here in Georgia!

Don't see where it says anything about the brake lights, but I can't believe we wouldn't have heard something by now if these were illegal.

What code exactly are you referencing in case I need to educate anyone here in Georgia!

Sorry, I tried to copy both for head and tail lights but I must have did something wrong (or I spent way to much time on computer yesterday) anyway, here goes;
This is for the headlight:
FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.
As for the tail light, I must have mis read but from what I see, there is nothing in the federal vehicle code that says anything about flashing or modulating of brake light but the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) suggests that you pump your brakes at each stop. This does it for you so it must be legal.:bigsmiley12:

Back