free website stats program Rear air shock spraying oil FLHTC '95 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear air shock spraying oil FLHTC '95

banjopete

Me again guys....trying to keep my '95 FLHTC on the road.
I found a puddle under my bike this morning...finally tracked down the oil source from my right rear air shock. Must have happened during my last ride...found a bit of spray on the back of the saddle bag...but this morning was the first sign of a puddle after sitting a few days.
They are still the originals from 23 yrs ago (282,000 kms).
Are these rebuildable? It it safe to ride with one shock having blown it's oil out?
Any idea as to new prices? any one replaced their air shocks with something else?

Thanks....Pete
PS....Happy Columbus Day down there, it's our Thanksgiving day up here.

No rebuilds that I know of. Anew HD shock is $154.73 each. Progressive makes a good shock but a lot more money
tourbox

You might double check the old shock for the actual point of leak. If it turns out to be where the air hose goes in, the new one might also leak if you don't trim off 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of hose. You will most likely see a ring depression all the way around the hose where the fitting "grabs" the hose. If that ring lines up with the "gripper" on the new shock, the grip might no be tight enough to keep it from leaking right there. You will lose more air than oil but it can still get messy.

I ride a 99 FLHR- carbureted....and I replaced my rear shocks with Progressives. I think I kept the old shocks probably minus some oil leaking from the hose connection. And that probably would be the same reason I'd toss them out. If I still have them you're welcome to them for the price of shipping. I'll check to confirm and will post here again. You'll have to confirm if they'll fit. I want to say they are 13" ( I think that's center-line to center-line of the mounting holes.) Oh, they are OEM and were retired at about 52,000 miles.

Thanks for the thought anyway wjsjr. I got a pair ( same p/n as mine) for $50 off e-bay from a cycle shop in Milwaukee. They arrived and are on the bike now and leak-free, unbroken rubber gaters and holding air just fine. The post-office guys were a little pissed as the old shocks leaked what was left of their oil all thru the mailed package. Canada post repackaged them in see-thru plastic pouch to save messing up everything else.

Back