free website stats program Ready for the cam change | Harley Davidson Forums

Ready for the cam change

kdaddy

So I'll be doing my Cam change Friday on my 05 electra glide. Here is what I am going in with. Andrews cam conversion kit, Andrews 21N cams. Andrews e-z install push rods.(cutting out the old ones) Comp Cam V thunder 850-1 lifters and new B-148 casing bearings. I have k&N air filter, Hard Krome open exhaust and the carb has already been re-jetted. I have all the proper tools layed out, bearing puller and installer, oil pump alignment pins torque wrench,cutters and assembly lube. I hope this goes well.
Any problems with installing the lifters from the bottom,within the cam chest since I'll have it gutted?

You could put them in from the bottom,but you will need magnets to hold them out of your way while placing the cam support plate in place.I would put your lifters in after the nose cone is finished.There is an alignment pin for each set of lifters also.
tourbox

Like tourbox said you will need magnets to hold the lifter up while you remove the cam plate. Without the magnets your best bet is to remove the lifter covers and take them out the top.
WAP.gif

I have all the proper tools layed out, bearing puller and installer, oil pump alignment pins torque wrench,cutters and assembly lube.

I am going by exactly what you listed.
Won't you also need a hydraulic press & HD-43644 to remove the cams from the support plate. Your bearing puller and installer would have you covered if you were a late model 96 like mine. My cams fall out of the support plate. I think yours don't.

I am no engine builder. Take a look at the attachment and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Cam Bearings.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 15
So I'll be doing my Cam change Friday on my 05 electra glide. Here is what I am going in with. Andrews cam conversion kit, Andrews 21N cams. Andrews e-z install push rods.(cutting out the old ones) Comp Cam V thunder 850-1 lifters and new B-148 casing bearings. I have k&N air filter, Hard Krome open exhaust and the carb has already been re-jetted. I have all the proper tools layed out, bearing puller and installer, oil pump alignment pins torque wrench,cutters and assembly lube. I hope this goes well.
Any problems with installing the lifters from the bottom,within the cam chest since I'll have it gutted?

DOES This convert your shoes to Hydraulics? High Volume oil pump like the newer TC motors have.?? IF not, I WOULD Kit up to do so... Either G drives at least in that 05 bike.

signed....BUBBIE

I am going by exactly what you listed.
Won't you also need a hydraulic press & HD-43644 to remove the cams from the support plate. Your bearing puller and installer would have you covered if you were a late model 96 like mine. My cams fall out of the support plate. I think yours don't.

I am no engine builder. Take a look at the attachment and tell me what you think.

Hoople is correct, the older models need to be pressed out of and into the cam plate.

DOES This convert your shoes to Hydraulics? High Volume oil pump like the newer TC motors have.?? IF not, I WOULD Kit up to do so... Either G drives at least in that 05 bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Right on Bubbie, would be a shame to spend all the time and money for those listed upgrades and have some cheap plastic shoe destroy it all. Word from the Wise one Bubbie. Good catch.

Great video for your 2007 and my 2009 but I don't think it applies to a 2005.
Rubyred, we have the easy model years. :)

I think we missed the part about the conversion kit? I believe the kit chages the cams to the later style on the camplate end with the motor end remaining as earlier style.

Back