free website stats program Ready Bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Ready Bike

kmiller31

I am real new to the bike world and was wondering what to go over on the bike IE meaning checking it head to toe for safety concerns before I start riding in the spring or when weather breaks. Just wondering what everyone checks out. Brakes,bolts, nuts, handlebars etc.

Get yourself an Owners Manual and more importantly an HD Service manual for your model and year. Best investment you'll ever make. It's all in there

All good suggestions.Id definetly check all nuts and bolts of anything the prior owner added to the scoot.Some people have never heard of locktight or a torque wrench.

Check yourself before any ride. I usually check myself when deciding to ride the scoot or not. If I feel lousy, or really distracted with everyday life, I'll opt to get that under control first. If I don't feel fairly sharp, I'll stay off the bike. For me, that's the first safety things I consider. Then, on to doing a check of the bike ( after pulling out of the driveway, with a soft rear tire and riding down the street , wondering why the bike felt 'different'..I learned my lesson. I do a walk-around, 'pre-flight' check. Last Winter, I had a dealer go through the bike , front to rear. Expensive but , to me, well worth the peace of mind. I do believe I will take the bike in before the start of spring. A good check over of things I don't know how to do. The dealer did find a worn engine mount ( I wouldn't have found this)..They also tightened all wheel spokes, adjustments ( belts etc)...found handlebar bushings a little worn ( 01 Ultra). I do believe I will have my dealer do a complete check before the start of every season. My mechanical skills are limited and my time is even more so. It also helps that my dealer is one I trust. They've done right by me, especially since new owners took over. Yankee Harley in Bristol CT. ( I have no affiliation with them..except being a satisfied customer.)

Back