free website stats program Re: W.D. 40 | Harley Davidson Forums

Re: W.D. 40

Re:Winter storage any thoughts on using WD -40 to protect engine and chrome,have heard of mixed reviews.

WD40 does not pack enough film thickness to do any good. If your serious about a long lasting film, get some LPS #2 or #3 in a spray can. The #3 goes on THICK like hand cream and is brown in color. It will take a Good Bubble bath to get it off but the parts will look just like they were before you sprayed it on.

The LPS #2 will do the job. LPS #3 is really made for LONG term storage but will come off with a wash of kerosine and water.

I am by no means an expert in this area, but I recall reading an article once about how WD40 is basically a solvent. Yes, it does "lubricate" rusty bolts, etc., but it also cuts through crud. Don't know if it has enough protective properties to be used in an extended manner....

If parked indoors a good detail job, battery tender, and breathable cover.

W.D. 40 is mostly removes moisture and does some corrosion protection and some penetration of rusty parts. If you need the best penetrant then get Aerokroil. That stuff actually penetrates the metal. Just type in Aerokroil and you will see they have many products. Even a pentrant with silicone so give them a look. Just type their name into you browser and they will come right up.

S100 corrosion protection will do the trick. You will need to use S100 cleaner to get it off in the spring. I always spray the back (unseen) side of chrome parts with it when I install them to keep rust from developing in places that you don't see easily.

I wouldn't use wd40. I used it to lubricate some chrome rods on a foosball table and it took the chrome off over time. Switched to pledge no more chrome loss.

I change the fluids, fill the gas tank, put some Seafoam in, and put it on a battery tender.

If the temperature is 40f or above and a nice day I ride.

IMG_0585.jpg

Back