Re-Registering 2009 FLHX marked as non repairable

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by HD8080, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. HD8080

    HD8080 Member

    I'm a newbie to the forum world so if I make any mistakes posting please let me know.

    Some back ground first. I ride an 80 80 FLH and a 96" 79 FLH.I rebuilt both from the ground up. I am a ticketed pressure welder, millwright and others. I am very familiar at checking for metal fatigue and weld integrity etc.

    I have purchased a 2009 FLHX that was marked as non repairable (should never have been done according to a local HD dealer since you can always purchase a new frame with the same serial number). I am looking for the steps I need to follow to get this bike recertified once all the cosmetic repairs are completed.

    I have started to dismantle the bike and I will strip it down to just the frame and confirm my first belief that it is sound.

    I read in one of the posts that when repairing a bike you should ask yourself - would I let my child ride it when it is done. This is something I agree with completely and when this bike is finished the kids can go for a putt if they can pry me off.

    If the frame has to be replaced what are my options for a new one or is it only through a HD dealer. Does it have to have the same serial number?

    Where would I go to find documentation to start the re-registration process?

    Thanks for any help.
  2. glider

    glider Veteran Member

    In order to get a new frame from Harley with matching numbers , you have to cut the neck off the present one showing the VIN number and turn it in to them. I don't know if an individual can do this or it has to be done by a dealer. As far as re certification, that varies from state to state.
  3. TXMikey

    TXMikey Junior Member

    Like Big Lew said, you probably need to start with your state's DMV. Whether you can re-title the vehicle may depend on how the title was branded. If it was branded as salvage, then you can probably rebuild and re-title as a rebuilt vehicle. If it was branded as non-repairable, then your only option may be to part it out because it cannot be re-titled.
  4. STEVE07

    STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

    If your not worried about resale just title it as a custom, The DMV will generate a new VIN# for you,sometimes they check engine # to make sure its not stolen
  5. HD8080

    HD8080 Member

    WOW I am impressed with all the responses. Greatly apprciate your suggestion and I guess I need to start at the DMV office.
    Thanks again