free website stats program Rattling floorboards | Harley Davidson Forums

Rattling floorboards

itellya

hi, any remedies for rear rattling floor boards on 2001 RK? Rubber bushing? Any help would be appreciated

Have you checked that they're torqued down properly?

Is is rattling where the bracket attaches to the bike or is it perhaps the insert in the board itself that's loose and rattling?

Do you have chrome covers on them, could it be that? Mine has a spring loaded ball that holds them up and serves to dampen them (I think). Could your's be rusted and stuck down?

You can make a bushing to fit arround the mounting bolt out of a plastic milk jug, aka shim stock #j14363-1, or you can give the bracket a bit of a twist, this will counter the wear in the hole the bolt goes through. For what ever the rason I have seen many left floor board rattle and only a couple right board rattle, some that really get loud, the twisting on the bracket, and it doesn't take much, works good

UPDATE....Re: Rattling floorboards

hi, any remedies for rear rattling floor boards on 2001 RK? Rubber bushing? Any help would be appreciated

Ok after talking to my mechanic, I went about it this way to reduce and now stop the noise. I had a look at the spring with the ball bearing after disassembling the floorboards. I stretched the spring, lub everything with some thick grease, and re-installed the boards. Now I ride with allot less noise. Now for those pesty saddle bag hinges....i do have a solution!!!

Back