free website stats program rattle niose | Harley Davidson Forums

rattle niose

stprider

I've got a 04' dyna 25,000 mi mostly stock; a rattling noise on the right side started about a week ago i assumed it was the lifters so i replaced them and the push rods. Well the noise is still there and getting worse.

Help Please

I've got a 04' dyna 25,000 mi mostly stock; a rattling noise on the right side started about a week ago i assumed it was the lifters so i replaced them and the push rods. Well the noise is still there and getting worse.

Help Please

When you replaced the lifters and pushrods I assume you had to remove the front exhaust, did you remove the rear? Have you checked the heat shields to make sure that they are tight? Have you tried placing a screwdriver blade on the case (engine running) and put your ear to the handle to see where the rattle is the loudest? Had a rattle I thought was coming from the right side of my 94FLSTC-turned out to be the brake arm with a worn bushing.

I checked everything but I used a broom handle and the best I can tell it's inside the cam cover. Someone said it might be the oil pump coming apart and that it's a common problem and it's also tearing up my flywheel

I checked everything but I used a broom handle and the best I can tell it's inside the cam cover. Someone said it might be the oil pump coming apart and that it's a common problem and it's also tearing up my flywheel

The old style Shoes may be the problem...

suggestion; Take off the Cam Cover to inspect the shoes, i would say there lies the problem... also could be a cam bearing... Your year bike has the newer cam bearing (roller) but the well known Problem Shoes.
Look there and report back.

I would not run the engine until I found the noise..

bubbie

The old style Shoes may be the problem...

suggestion; Take off the Cam Cover to inspect the shoes, i would say there lies the problem... also could be a cam bearing... Your year bike has the newer cam bearing (roller) but the well known Problem Shoes.
Look there and report back.

I would not run the engine until I found the noise..

bubbie

I think Bubbie may be on the right track. At 25k, that is the time some folks start getting cam-chain tensioner wear that is bad enough to cause the rattle that you speak of. I would check that before going any further.--jack

cam chain tensioner was the first thing i checked it showed little to no wear. I didn.t pull the cam support plate so I don't know if the secondary chain tensioner is worn but the noise is loud and I don't think that secondary chain would be that noisey. Also I've lost no performance

cam chain tensioner was the first thing i checked it showed little to no wear. I didn.t pull the cam support plate so I don't know if the secondary chain tensioner is worn but the noise is loud and I don't think that secondary chain would be that noisey. Also I've lost no performance

If it is a cam bearing, you may be able to be checked in the valve push-rods If the noise appeared after they were installed and adjusted... check for free play and if valve bearing is Gone enough, the play will show up in there.
You did say it is getting worse...
Just another suggestion.

bubbie

the noise was there before and after I put new lifters and push rods and I checked for free play and it seemed to be tight the push rods could turn but not move up and down. And yes the noise is getting worse. It's not a steady tapping but more of a rattle

Go back in there and check the inboard tensioner, it is the one that wears most. I had that rattle and it was the inboard tensioner, my 2 cents

Don't forget to check the "simple" stuff as well, as just the other day I heard an unusual noise that started getting louder and found one of the exhaust baffles had loosened up, and while I was at it found a loose forward motor mounting bolt at the engiine....so things happen.

Back