free website stats program Rattle from bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Rattle from bike

lowrider1963

When I picked up my bike from the dealer a few weeks ago, I heard a ‘rattle’ from the right side on the way home. I went right back to the dealer, but by then the noise disappeared. They told me when the bike is new; sometimes the baffles in the exhaust expand and make a noise (even thought is seems to be more located by my right leg, not from behind). I have had the bike out only 4 times, and each time I hear the noise, but it generally happens when the bike is warmed up, and speeds between 30 and 40mph. I thought it was the heat shields on the pipes rattling at upper speed vibration. I tightened all the clamps down, and for the most part, the noise has gone. I do still hear it, but not as prevalent. Is this normal, did not notice on my 2000 FXDL, but that was ten years and smaller cc engine ago.

Sometimes besides tightening the heat shields down, you have to loosen and reposition them to rid yourself of the noise.

I sometimes thought i heard something like this after installing my pipes... i went back and tightened and repostioned like glider said and it seemed to help alot.

Thanks. I will try loosening all and reposition the shields to see if that takes care of issue. I could not find a torque setting for the clamps on the pipes, is there one, I do not want to over tighten.

Finally found the noise. Even though it sounded like is was coming from the right side engine, it was actually the top heat shield on the back exhaust. Re-positioned. No more noise!!!

Don't forget loose baffles in the pipes. Also the clamps may need to be repositioned or tightened...found by letting bike cool down and tapping with my boot or rubber mallet.

That's how I located the noise, sat on the bike while running and started 'tapping' on different parts of the exhaust till I found the 'rattle'.

Back