free website stats program ratteling coming from primary | Harley Davidson Forums

ratteling coming from primary

Eddy1

I have a 20012 street glide 7000 miles. Recently on start up sounds like nuts & bolts banging around in primary. Doesn't do it all the time & lasts between ten & twenty sec. Dealer says that it's fairly normal. My point is if it didn't do it in 7000 miles why would it do it now. Dealer says if it doesn't do it when they have it there is nothing they can do. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Hate to say it, but IMHO, I'd pretty much demand the dealership tear into your primary/clutch & see what's going on. Even though the noise isn't happening all the time, something grinding away in there and the only way to diagnose, other than telling you it's normal, is to get a visual of the area...talk to the Servive Manager. Your bike's under warranty so they're obligated to resolve your issue. Good luck!

Got to go with Iceman here. If the noise just started and only does it on the initial startup you may need to leave it with the dealer so that they can start it when cold. My guess is something is loose, it might be the compensator nut. Try this and see if it helps but I'm guessing they will need to open the outer primary case. http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-8091.html

I would have them check it out just for PEACE of mind, may be early failure of a comp sprocket or self adjuster

Even though it is under warranty, I would NOT run the bike until the primary is opened up and checked out to make sure nothing (especially the compensator) is loose. Although the warranty will cover anything that is actually broken or obviously damaged, subtle or unseen damage may come back to haunt you in the future. Get the bike towed or picked up by HD and taken to the dealership for diagnosis and repair.

TQ

thanx i'll go to the dealer monday morning & have them pick in up. wont be riding till spring so they can keep it till they find the problem. Thanx for all replies.

thanx i'll go to the dealer monday morning & have them pick in up. wont be riding till spring so they can keep it till they find the problem. Thanx for all replies.

my 2012 street glide was making those noises sounded like coming from that area but it was the lifters experencing lifter bleed down apparently a problem with the new 103 engines so my dealer told me installed new lifers under warrenty no more noise

my 2012 street glide was making those noises sounded like coming from that area but it was the lifters experencing lifter bleed down apparently a problem with the new 103 engines so my dealer told me installed new lifers under warrenty no more noise

If the new lifters are the same type as the original lifters that had a problem, won't there be an issue with the new ones soon??? Or are the new lifters a different type??? Just trying to find out what I have to look forward to :(

If the new lifters are the same type as the original lifters that had a problem, won't there be an issue with the new ones soon??? Or are the new lifters a different type??? Just trying to find out what I have to look forward to :(

The new "C" (since 2010) lifters are now made in Mexico; quality has been hit and miss. Most problems have been with the rollers. The earlier "B" lifters were a Delphi product made in the USA. If replacing lifters there are better options than OEM hardware.

OK after several weeks of fighting with the dealer. All they said they could do is keep the bike & see if they could get it to make the noise. Other than that there was nothing they could do.Don't know whether too have them come and get it or not.I know what goes on out there and I am half afraid to leave it there.factory rep or whoever was no help. What would guys do? Than for all your help.

Back