free website stats program Rats !! | Harley Davidson Forums

Rats !!

HarryB737

I had just replaced my rear tire last fall... last Saturday went for a good ride with a friend. Sunday was beautiful so the Mrs & I were going to spend some time together in the afternoon on the bike. I went to back the bike out of the garage, and did the once over on the bike as I usually do, and lo and behold I had picked up a nail in my (Pretty new)rear tire (2380miles) the day before.... so instead of being in the wind I got winded :D removing the rear wheel again. Well there is a happy ending... ordered another tire Sunday evening, got it last Wednesday, took it to a Indy shop had them mount & balance it, came home and reassembled everything, and am back in the Wind again YEA!! This latest tire is a Metzler. I've heard good things about them and so far so good... I like the way it rides & feels.

Glad your back in the wind. Are you running a different brand tire on the front?

Yes, the original Dunlop is holding up well... around 10K on bike now.

Careful with the handling, most manuf. don't reccoment mixing tire patterns. I tried on my '94 FLSTC and I never felt comfortable untill I had a matched set on.

Seems to handle fine, but thanks for the advice... I'll probably change the front too at the end of the season... pending no more flats. That was the 2nd flat I discovered in my garage, (The best place to have one) :D

Seems to handle fine, but thanks for the advice... I'll probably change the front too at the end of the season... pending no more flats. That was the 2nd flat I discovered in my garage, (The best place to have one) :D

You may want to check your driveway, my buddies neighbor had some roofing work done and the roofer wasn't to careful about where the nails went. Both my buddy and is neighbor ended up with flats before they discovered the problem. Ride Safe.

Harry, good that you got the problem sorted. While it is preferred to have same branded tire front and rear...as long as you "take it easy" and don't try to extract the last bit of handling to test that theory you should be fine. You have only a few thousand miles on the other tire anyway...just enjoy the ride.:D

A quick question. If the tire only had 2380 miles on it could you have got by with only replacing the tube? just asking

You may want to check your driveway, my buddies neighbor had some roofing work done and the roofer wasn't to careful about where the nails went. Both my buddy and is neighbor ended up with flats before they discovered the problem. Ride Safe.

+1!!! Got my daughter's car several years ago.

Back