free website stats program Ran over a Mattress doing 70 today | Harley Davidson Forums

Ran over a Mattress doing 70 today

wrightj123

I was in the left lane on I94 west of Milwaukee on my 09 SG today. All three lanes had traffic and we were movin around 70 or so. All of a sudden I saw brake lights in the middle lane and a queen size mattress flying directly towards my lane and me. I had nowhere to go and I thought I was going to hit the mattress while it was still in the air. Luckilly it laid flat an instant before I drove over it. Never had time to even hit the brakes and it was probably better I didn't.

I didn't feel much of anything but I had to pull over and settle down after that one. I gripped the bars tight and was thinking I was goin down but she took it!! I have some threads hanging below my bike but everything else looks ok.

Anyone ever hit something like that?

Man, we're so glad you're OK after that. I would not assume anything and give your bike a thorough once over, top to bottom and front to back. There's no telling what a jolt like that could've knocked loose that might not be apparent right away.

Hopefully someone who's been through a similar experience can give you more specific guidance on what to look for.

lucky so far, they say there are two kind of bikers, those that have and those that will.

Just wanted to shout out and say I'm glad your'e O.K. and here to share. Obviously your guardian angel was riding along with you, as your byline indicates.

Not one of those "comfort foam" moments for sure. Never can be too careful following behind open bed trucks or cagers moving stuff not fastened securely. Can't tell you how many times I have seen things fall off, even those tire treads you normally see on the side of the road CAME from some truck up ahead...!

glad to hear you're safe....I've hit tire "gatorbacks" a couple of times. That'll "tighten" you up for sure. Thought I tore the oil cooler off of my bike one time. I also hit a dead animal of some kind one time. That taught me not to pay 100% attention to the road. That was utterly the sickest thing I have ever had to clean up in my life. The bar-b-q effect on my exhaust was the worst smell ever. OK, time for a ride ;)

Never saw a truck but it must have been ahead of me in the middle lane. It happened so quick there was no time to adjust or manuver. Good to hear from you too. It has been a busy summer but I've managed to put around 4000 miles on my scoot so far this season.

If it just had to happen, better to run over the mattress than the box springs. You lucky for sure.

WrightJ, Glad you're OK Great Driving Skills Congratulations !! :a
Be sure to Thank the Good Lord, I'm sure you did...

Back