free website stats program ran outta gas | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

ran outta gas

I always reset my trip when I get gas, 190 miles is the furthest I have ever gone between fill ups and I have never put more than 3.9 gallons of gas in the bike. I have never ran out of gas either. I figure my mpg for each fill up, and some days are a bit better than others.

Am I losing my mind or is it playing tricks on me? I thought I read, or someone told me, that on the 09s and later with the 6 gallon tank, that you can only use up to 5 of the 6 gallons. The logic was that the electronic fuel pump was in the tank and it required 1 gallon to cool the pump and also needed for the seals of such, and that if you ran the tank below the last gallon you could cause damages accordingly. Is this true? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Am I losing my mind or is it playing tricks on me? I thought I read, or someone told me, that on the 09s and later with the 6 gallon tank, that you can only use up to 5 of the 6 gallons. The logic was that the electronic fuel pump was in the tank and it required 1 gallon to cool the pump and also needed for the seals of such, and that if you ran the tank below the last gallon you could cause damages accordingly. Is this true? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

The cooling effect of the pump being submerges has been mentioned in several of the posts in this thread.:)

I would love to see that in writing. Would same theory apply to a 5 gallon tank.

I always reset my trip when I get gas, 190 miles is the furthest I have ever gone between fill ups and I have never put more than 3.9 gallons of gas in the bike. I have never ran out of gas either. I figure my mpg for each fill up, and some days are a bit better than others.

You get good gas mileage. On a trip I fill up around 160-170, start looking at 150. Typically I put in 4.5 gallons. Low fuel light comes on I put in 4.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cooling effect of the pump being submerges has been mentioned in several of the posts in this thread.:)

This would mean things ar calibrated correctly, at least on my bike. At the "E" mark I have almost one gallon left. Must be the MOCO wants that gallon in the tank. Good information on this one.

I would love to see that in writing. Would same theory apply to a 5 gallon tank.

You get good gas mileage. On a trip I fill up around 160-170, start looking at 150. Typically I put in 4.5 gallons. Low fuel light comes on I put in 4.7.
The worst mileage I have ever gotten is 36 mpg, but I think I may have had a throttle issue that day. :D I was getting pretty nervous when I realized how far I had gone on that tank of gas, but my husband was with me so I wasn't too worried. I guess technically I would have been okay if I flipped over to the reserve, but I hope I don't have to try that. :s I wondered also if I could have forgot to hit my trip odometer on the last fill up, but after we looked at when we rode & when we got gas, it appeared to be accurate.

If I did not work on Fuel injected cars trucks and bikes I would say this is crazy talk, BUT it is all true. If you want your pump to stand the test of time in any application, try not to run too low on fuel:s

I try not to make a habit of it. I usually try to park my bike with a full tank so that it is ready to roll when I am. :D

I try not to make a habit of it. I usually try to park my bike with a full tank so that it is ready to roll when I am. :D

It also prevents condensation on the inside of the tank and so wards off any rusting

Brian

Back