free website stats program ran outta gas | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

ran outta gas

#1 on that, dont do it in your family Cage, why do it on your Bike JMO:s

Oh, but they DO it on the cages all the time! I did auto repairs for almost thirty years professionally. When the in-tank fuel pumps started failing, we noticed a common thread..... STRETCHERS! Folks that would run as far as they could before they added fuel. As if they had an interest-bearing wallet so they could gain if they prolonged spending! *LOL*
One other trend we noticed, TOTALLY off the subject. Applies only to us northerners-Folks that made 90 degree turns as they first moved their cars on wintery mornings had more front axle boot failures that the ones that drove far enough to warm things up before subjecting them to flex a lot. Think about it!

Folks that made 90 degree turns as they first moved their cars on wintery mornings had more front axle boot failures that the ones that drove far enough to warm things up before subjecting them to flex a lot. Think about it!

Interesting! It Sure does make sense.. :)

HI yeah I was thinking the r means remaining gas until reserve,I guess it means total remaining....u see I am used to swithching petcock to reserve on my other bike while I am riding,just something I will get used to,Lovin the bike so far put driver back rest and just got my gps mount and accessory harness,cannot work on bike because I am in a cast on my left leg,but still manage to ride because of the heel toe shifter,I just cannot go anywhere i have to keep riding tilll I get back to my crutches.The day after I got the bike I went for surgery and cannot just stare at it,had to ride...and I do,but hopefully have the cast off in 2 weeks and I will put on a rear rack and I just ordered the studded heritage touring bag so the farklin begins.I really like this site glad I found it...btw my name is DREW,gotta get my avatar pic up soon.

Oh, by the way you got that "extra gas" because there is a crossover tube that links the two side tanks bisected by the frame "tunnel" and the other thing is stress on the fuel pump...if it "cavitates" where it loses the fuel, the air bubbles will dry the seals while the pump tries to keep up and vibrates even harder to keep up, and as others have said, it can overheat the "unsubmerged" fuel sump pump.

Oh, by the way you got that "extra gas" because there is a crossover tube that links the two side tanks bisected by the frame "tunnel" and the other thing is stress on the fuel pump...if it "cavitates" where it loses the fuel, the air bubbles will dry the seals while the pump tries to keep up and vibrates even harder to keep up, and as others have said, it can overheat the "unsubmerged" fuel sump pump.

It's better then pushing.

After the bike stalls the first time, you might have three miles left.

But the advice not to run your bike out of gas is good advice.:D I doubt he does it again, he learned a lesson about his bike.

I never fill my bike up until it gets to 150 miles on the odometer. At that point I might have .3 to .8 gallons left. The car theory about the full gas tank does not make sense on a bike. You typically do not stop on a motorcycle to get gas without filling the tank. I would not worry about the fuel pump, unless you plan on running your bike out of gas as a habit.

I learned a long time ago it is just as easy to fill the top half as the bottom half. Always looking for good gas station when riding at 1/4, and always top off, (even if just 1/2 gal) before parking at end of day. Too many times I figured on filling up at start of next ride and duhhhhh!

Oh, but they DO it on the cages all the time! I did auto repairs for almost thirty years professionally. When the in-tank fuel pumps started failing, we noticed a common thread..... STRETCHERS! Folks that would run as far as they could before they added fuel. As if they had an interest-bearing wallet so they could gain if they prolonged spending! *LOL*
One other trend we noticed, TOTALLY off the subject. Applies only to us northerners-Folks that made 90 degree turns as they first moved their cars on wintery mornings had more front axle boot failures that the ones that drove far enough to warm things up before subjecting them to flex a lot. Think about it!

You are right, it pays my wages:s

I usally stop when the trip meter gets to 160 miles,but there has been times,riding in NEVADA that i would have to baby the throttle,and twice i have made it into a gas station with the light on for a long time,and would put in 4.9 gallons. and the trip meter would read 205 miles. that is pushing my luck.and there is no way,my wife would even think of helping me push the bike. BE SAFE ...

I ran out of gas a few weeks ago, even tho the odometer told me I should have had at least a gallon left. It turned out that at the last fill up, I hadn't filled it all the way. I had the nozzle all the way into the tank, and when the auto shutoff clicked, I lifted the nozzle a bit and put in some more.

What I'd forgotten was that in Calif., we have vapor catchers on the nozzles, and they take up a lot of room. So, when you lift the nozzle "a little bit", you're almost to the end of it's length. On pumps that don't have the vapor catchers, the nozzle has a longer reach into the tank, so when you lift it up after the auto shutoff, there's still a lot of nozzle in the tank, which shuts it off again, and you think you're full but you're not.

Now, I pull the nozzle almost to the lip and fill the tank to just below the brim, where I can see it. Problem solved, and sorry for the long post.

due to different riding conditions, i always seam to get different fuel mileage, i guess what i'm saying is, when it gets close to low, fuel up, it doesn't cost any more to ride a bike with a full tank than it does to ride one with an empty tank.

Back