free website stats program ran outta gas | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ran outta gas

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon. How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

I am amazed. Your bike is the 1st I have heard of who's gauge reads MORE than you really had in the tank. In the past there have been several (long) threads on this topic but it ALWAYS has been the gauge showing LESS than what was in the tank.

When my display reads "ZERO" or empty, I still have 8/10's of a gallon of reachable fuel left in my tank.

Don't know how accurate but when it starts hitting the 1/4 mark I start looking and when the low fuel light comes on I really start looking. Havn't run out however.

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon.Felt like a idiot when motorists stopped at the light saw me pushing my new shiny harley to the shoulder.Well i managed to tilt the bike left to get the last drops and make it to the gas station 2 miles away.How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

My road name is not Gas Gauge because I am keenly aware of when to get gas, just the opposite, I was given that name because there has never been a bike I didn't run out of gas, and everytime it is an absent minded mistake or being unfamiliar with the bike I was on....haven't done it on an EFI equipped bike yet (and cross my fingers I hope I have gotten past that trend), yet the road name sticks.

Sorry to hear you having to push that brand new 2011 Bike two miles...enjoying a Harley should not be that much work. :( The good news...apparently pretty accurate fuel guage...:newsmile100: being 17 miles based on your variable throttle and braking is less than 6% of the capacity/range of your bike and you cutting it that close...you are lucky not having to push the bike further, especially on a new, relatively unfamiliar one.

He pushed the bike to the side of the road and got it started....2 miles would have been a tremendous distance!

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon.Felt like a idiot when motorists stopped at the light saw me pushing my new shiny harley to the shoulder.Well i managed to tilt the bike left to get the last drops and make it to the gas station 2 miles away.How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

If you took a 220 mile full tank down to 17 miles, that seems to me to be a risky move. It is easy to calibrate your fule tank. Note the capacity, and gage position when you fill up. I.E. My light comes on first, and than I can run the needle all the way to the bottom of "E". When I fill up it takes exactly 4 gallons, so I know I have consertivly 3/4 of a gallon left or 30 miles. To be on the safe side I usually fill up at a 1/4 tank with 3 gallons.

I think 17 miles is a very accurate gauge, for any vehicle. I always start looking when it drops below 1/4, in any vehicle. I have never run out of gas with money in my pocket.:p

We have two 750 hondas that ride in our group and they have a much shorter range for fuel, so at 250 kms we are looking for fuel and can see them cranking their petcocks over to reserve. Kind of like my wife and the bear story, I told her I dont have to out run the bear I only have to out run you.

We have two 750 hondas that ride in our group and they have a much shorter range for fuel, so at 250 kms we are looking for fuel and can see them cranking their petcocks over to reserve. Kind of like my wife and the bear story, I told her I dont have to out run the bear I only have to out run you.

Now thats funny :newsmile100:

She'll prabably just trip you as you turn to run.

My Electra Glide is just the opposite, when the gauge says empty and the 'miles remaining' says 0 I still have almost a gallon left in the tank. But I don't trust the HD gauge anyway, go by miles on the trip meter.

Being as these fuel pumps are cooled by being submerged it always amazes me that people try to push every last mile out of a tank of fuel.

#1 on that, dont do it in your family Cage, why do it on your Bike JMO:s

Back