free website stats program ran outta gas | Harley Davidson Forums

ran outta gas

mtrbrth3

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon.Felt like a idiot when motorists stopped at the light saw me pushing my new shiny harley to the shoulder.Well i managed to tilt the bike left to get the last drops and make it to the gas station 2 miles away.How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

I think they are about as accurate as a dash light on a 67 Chevy. Maybe get fuel after it goes past 1/4 tank? We all have run out of fuel so don't feel bad.

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon.Felt like a idiot when motorists stopped at the light saw me pushing my new shiny harley to the shoulder.Well i managed to tilt the bike left to get the last drops and make it to the gas station 2 miles away.How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

Sorry to hear you having to push that brand new 2011 Bike two miles...enjoying a Harley should not be that much work. :( The good news...apparently pretty accurate fuel guage...:newsmile100: being 17 miles based on your variable throttle and braking is less than 6% of the capacity/range of your bike and you cutting it that close...you are lucky not having to push the bike further, especially on a new, relatively unfamiliar one.

Last edited:
I've always stopped for fuel when the light came on. It almost always had close to a gallon left. This weekend we rode a 'Lighthouse Challenge' where the object was to visit every lighthouse in NJ. Twice I had to ride for a while after the fuel light came on. The first time it took 3.8 gallons at 148 miles, the second time it took 4.1 gallons at 151 miles. According to the manual it's a 4.8 gallon tank. But, it's EFI so the pump etc take up some of that capacity. I'm guessing that at 4.1 gallons, I was pretty close to pushing it.

I've always stopped for fuel when the light came on. It almost always had close to a gallon left. This weekend we rode a 'Lighthouse Challenge' where the object was to visit every lighthouse in NJ. Twice I had to ride for a while after the fuel light came on. The first time it took 3.8 gallons at 148 miles, the second time it took 4.1 gallons at 151 miles. According to the manual it's a 4.8 gallon tank. But, it's EFI so the pump etc take up some of that capacity. I'm guessing that at 4.1 gallons, I was pretty close to pushing it.

And it was pretty windy in Jersey yesterday too.......

Back