ran outta gas

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by mtrbrth3, Oct 17, 2010.

1. mtrbrth3

mtrbrth3 Member

2011 heritage display said 17 miles on reserve but i guess that is only about a half gallon.Felt like a idiot when motorists stopped at the light saw me pushing my new shiny harley to the shoulder.Well i managed to tilt the bike left to get the last drops and make it to the gas station 2 miles away.How accurate is the fuel gauge anyway?

2. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

I think they are about as accurate as a dash light on a 67 Chevy. Maybe get fuel after it goes past 1/4 tank? We all have run out of fuel so don't feel bad.

3. RUSHMORE_14

RUSHMORE_14 Junior Member

As soon as I get into the little red area on the gauge.........time to stop n fill up

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Sorry to hear you having to push that brand new 2011 Bike two miles...enjoying a Harley should not be that much work. :( The good news...apparently pretty accurate fuel guage...:newsmile100: being 17 miles based on your variable throttle and braking is less than 6% of the capacity/range of your bike and you cutting it that close...you are lucky not having to push the bike further, especially on a new, relatively unfamiliar one.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. jethro706

jethro706 Member

go by miles not the gauge when it gets close. at 160, i'm looking for gas. This gives me 30 to 35 miles.

6. sprinklerfitter669

sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

I dont trust the gauge, i usually sto for gas when its at a 1/4, i try not to see the fuel low light come on :s

7. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

I've always stopped for fuel when the light came on. It almost always had close to a gallon left. This weekend we rode a 'Lighthouse Challenge' where the object was to visit every lighthouse in NJ. Twice I had to ride for a while after the fuel light came on. The first time it took 3.8 gallons at 148 miles, the second time it took 4.1 gallons at 151 miles. According to the manual it's a 4.8 gallon tank. But, it's EFI so the pump etc take up some of that capacity. I'm guessing that at 4.1 gallons, I was pretty close to pushing it.

8. RUSHMORE_14

RUSHMORE_14 Junior Member

And it was pretty windy in Jersey yesterday too.......

9. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

Yep, certainly was. :yes

10. mrtn681

mrtn681 Active Member

Me Too.