free website stats program Ran out of oil! Doh! | Harley Davidson Forums

Ran out of oil! Doh!

Iannyboy

Hi folks. Was away at the weekend. Checked the oil before i left but on the way back it ran out and the bike cut out. I am new to this and never thought it would run out so soon. Its an old bike ('89 sportster) but in good condition. Hope i havent wrecked the engine. What can i do? Please help :(

That can't be a good thing! What do you mean, "the bike cut out"? Did the engine lock up? Did it just quit? How many miles between when you checked it and when the problem occurred.
You need to find out if the engine still turns free. If it does then you need to find out where all that oil went.

Yer screwed.
The good is if you blew through 2+ quarts in that short of a time it was time for a rebuild anyway.

It didnt lock up. Just cut out. And coasted to side of the road. Its still turning over but doesnt seem like its getting a spark?

Well, if it's not locked up, and it just quit running, I'de pull those plugs and take a look and see if they're wet. All that oil had to go somewhere.
I would not do anything with trying to start it until I found out where that oil went.
That is NOT a normal situation!!

It seems its not getting a spark. Could this be the coil thats buggered? Its definately not seized. When i put it in gear and push it you can hear the pistons moving. It mas mainly motorway driving i was doing so the bike was maybe quite warm?

Our friend Hobbit in England is well versed in grammer, kinda makes us Americans appreciate the international flavor of this Harley community.

Use Google...define swarf..."intimate mixture of fine chips & grinding abrasives..."

Back