free website stats program RAM GPS Motorcycle Mount | Harley Davidson Forums

RAM GPS Motorcycle Mount

Badgerw

I just ordered a Ram GPS mount for my NUVI 1350T for my 2010 Heritage Softail. The battery life for the GPS is about 4 hours. Does anyone have suggestions on how to hard wire the unit? I found a Gilsson GUSB5VB Hardwire power cord for a Garmin on The GPS Store web sight. However I have been told that you will need to have a power cord with a fuse. There is no fuse on the Gilsson power cord.

I modified the HD Accesory socket w/ cover that comes with appropriate Deutsch connector for Touring bikes...check out the 2009 or 2010 HD Parts and Accessories catalog...it is about $20. Take a look at the link below post # 6:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_harley_davidson_topic/21804-tom_tom_gps_mount.html

You may also consider using Marine grade cigarette lighter socket (lighter sockets use ceramic insulator which is more robust). Happy hunting and post up what you come up with!

I used a battery charging harness and hooked it direct to the battery. Ran the wire under the tank to the neck. Works fine. I set it up for the MC and the car.

I tried the cig plug but the connnection was so-so due to vibration and losing the connection.

Last edited:
I use the cigarette lighter adapter that came with my Garmin. Hooked it into the cigarette lighter on my 09 Road Glide and put the excess cord in the left glove box. Never had a problem with it vibrating loose or losing the connection on my 4,250 mile trip to Sturgis last year.

I put a 12 volt plug in one of my saddlebags and then ran another power cord under the seat up the tank under the bib and dash along the neck and with the wires to my gps. never had any problens with the vibration. I just plug it in like I would in my truck program in where I want to go and take off. Has worked for 6 months now with no problems. just finished a trip to daytona and back from New Jersey and never had a problem. Plus I can use the plug to charge my cell phone while on the road.

Here's a thought. The power cord you are considering is just a power cord. For about the same price you can get a GTM25 power cord that has free traffic data (in select locations), it also has a cig. lighter type plug with a built in fuse. Then you can just wire a 12v cig.lighter type plug in.
I don't live in a supported traffic data area, but thought it was nice when I was in a larger metro area.

I think I posted this before but here is the link anyway. Might answer some of your questions.

Picasa Web Albums - Chet - RAM-NUVI-GSP ...

Here is the finished product, all hardwired up!

tn92s3.jpg

on my 03 glide next to the head light 2 pig tails with red conectors hot all the time with ing switch on ran the power from my mount to thoues works great

Back