free website stats program Rain/Thunder/Hail/Tornado Strategies? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rain/Thunder/Hail/Tornado Strategies?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Putting in some time on the treadmill a couple hours ago. Spent the entire time watching several local weather gurus talk about the storms moving into Georgia from Alabama along with tornado warnings and quarter size hail. It got me thinking about someone out enjoying his/her day on 2 wheels without the benefit of the TV to know what's coming.

Looking for some input on decision making strategies from folks with more highway miles than me (which is just about everyone on this forum.) When do you put on your rain gear? When do you take it off? What finally convinces you it's time to get off the road? Lightning? Hail? Wind? How helpful is the radio if it's simply spouting off warnings for counties you've never heard of when you're far from home?

Any good stories would be appreciated too. You know, tell me about something stupid a "friend" did one time that he swears he'll never do again!

Thanks!

My rainsuit is one of the best you can possibly buy. 50% of the time it will stop raining within 10 minutes of when I put it on.:D

that is what 6th gear is for to clear the area :)
Seriously If you in an area known for extrem storms seek shelter quickly. Motel under bridge ect.

Riding at 90 degress away from the storm helps My wife and I call beating the storm when we try to ride around one
Riding west out of Madison WI in the late summer is good for a few very heavy dangerious thunder storms. If it looks bad ahead ...it is.
If you do not have weather chanel then check weather often.
End the ride soonerr than latter better to be warm and dry in the motel than flooded out in a ditch.
Ask me how I know this :)

OK - How do you know this??? :D

I don't have rain gear. If it starts to rain I get off the road for 1/2 hour or so to let the road get washed off, becuase if you ride in the mountians in western N.C. the roads get very slick till the ground in oil gets washed off. I've rode in hail and didn't like it. Around here we have varing winds that will blow ypu off the road. Just come on spring and let me get caught in a rain hail storm.:newsmile020::newsmile09:

If it starts to rain find a bridge or something else to sit under for a while.riding when a rain has just started is the most dangerous the oils come out of the road and its like riding on an oil slick ,if it doesn't look like it is going to let up put on your rain gear and get to a place where you can be comfortable as Smitty recomended.Riding long distances in rain ,hail and shear force winds is no fun!That I do know:(

If it starts to rain find a bridge or something else to sit under for a while.riding when a rain has just started is the most dangerous the oils come out of the road and its like riding on an oil slick ,if it doesn't look like it is going to let up put on your rain gear and get to a place where you can be comfortable as Smitty recomended.Riding long distances in rain ,hail and shear force winds is no fun!That I do know:(

I'll give that a big amen.

riding in the down pour if for sure no fun been there done that more than once

That sounds logical but I read somewhere that you should only stay under a bridge or overpass as an absolute LAST resort. Visibility is already reduced due to the rain and if someone in a 4 (or more) wheeled vehicle decides to duck in there for whatever reason, you are pretty much toast! Lots of times there's not much else as an option but you have to admit, this is a pretty scary scenario.

That sounds logical but I read somewhere that you should only stay under a bridge or overpass as an absolute LAST resort. Visibility is already reduced due to the rain and if someone in a 4 (or more) wheeled vehicle decides to duck in there for whatever reason, you are pretty much toast! Lots of times there's not much else as an option but you have to admit, this is a pretty scary scenario.

You will find that if you have to pull under a bridge you will be far enough under to get away from the elements to feel a certain comfort zone. Me I usually get off the bike and sit on the incline to have a smoke as I watch the world pass by:D

Back