free website stats program Rain Soaked Bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rain Soaked Bike

I just sit there.....working away.....imagining the above described scenerio.......aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.........now if only I had a cup of coffee or something..........

Cat???? Can you bring me some coffee?????

Cat???? CAT????????????????????? CAT?????

(guess she doesn't hear me........)

She hears ya! That's why she's smiling.:bigsmiley20:

When I "bring her home soaked" I consider my performance a huge success!!! :bigsmiley18:

But getting back to your actual question......! :D

I have a stack of old but still soft and freshly laundered towels I keep in the garage for my scoot, mostly for drying it off after the occasional light washing. (I never allow it to get dirty enough to have to do a "car wash" type job, like with buckets of soapy water and sponges and all that, but every once in a while I like to wipe it down wet and then dry it all right away.)

But coming in from a rain storm initiates a full scale red alert with my family when I walk in the door! I can't stand the idea of the scooter soaking wet, so I get the wife and kids all out there, hand them each a towel with instructions not to leave a single spot on the bike un-touched, (including the undercarriage, which is particularly important to me), and I then go in, take a nice hot shower, (Cat usually comes in to wash my back before returning to her assigned task with the kids), pour myself a cup of freshly ground and brewed 100% Kona coffee from Maui with a double Grand Marnier to sweeten it up, and go check their progress, critiquing their every wipe and checking every little spot where a drop of water may be hiding and/or may have been missed, at which point I give a lengthy speech about how I expect them all to put their heart and soul into the job, if they expect any accolades from ME! Then I go back into the house, lay back in my favorite cushy easy chair, (after Cathy freshens my coffee before getting back out to that garage), put my headphones on and crank up The Beatles or Carly Simon (so i won't have to get annoyed listening to them chatting instead of working in the focused manner I really expect, which doesn't allow for the distraction of conversation), while they toil away out there, desperately seeking my approval when I finally return to check their work. And of course, God help them if I find an errant drop of water or smudge at that point!!!! They know the consequences of THAT! (Of course, they are all so well-trained as to my expectations, usually I come out to find the scooter gleaming as though it just left the showroom floor.)

:bigsmiley22: Did I ever mention just how important "taking myself to a happy place" is for me, especially in situations like THIS.....when I am sitting on a cold, damp garage floor wishing I had some help getting all the mess off my bike after getting caught in a rain storm????

I just sit there.....working away.....imagining the above described scenerio.......aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.........now if only I had a cup of coffee or something..........

Cat???? Can you bring me some coffee?????

Cat???? CAT????????????????????? CAT?????

(guess she doesn't hear me........)

Ya, it's pretty much the same routine for me; except after my wife cleans the bike , washes my back in the shower, puts on a Beatles CD and gets me a cup of Coffee she invites the 25 year old twins from down the street over to message my feet and back. :s

I will give it a good cleaning next time I get the chance. If I arrive home after a rain it's myself I want to get cleaned up and dry.

Heres Something i do. Makes the whole clean up a breeze.

Get any air compressor you want really. (bigger means you wont have to wait for it to fill again if you empty it :p)

Then get you a high pressure water attachment. (I Got this one from Wal-Mart that hook into a air compressor or water hose)

Hook up hose to compressor and blow off (with air) Any excessive water, mud, small animals or various rice rocket parts you may have picked up.

Let cool for about an hour. Then High pressure clean the bike and blow dry with the same time.

If you close to a wal mart you are looking at about 60-220$ depending on the compressor.

Heres Something i do. Makes the whole clean up a breeze.

Get any air compressor you want really. (bigger means you wont have to wait for it to fill again if you empty it :p)

Then get you a high pressure water attachment. (I Got this one from Wal-Mart that hook into a air compressor or water hose)

Hook up hose to compressor and blow off (with air) Any excessive water, mud, small animals or various rice rocket parts you may have picked up.

Let cool for about an hour. Then High pressure clean the bike and blow dry with the same time.

If you close to a wal mart you are looking at about 60-220$ depending on the compressor.

I would be concerned about blowing water or dirt where is shouldn't go. Blow drying might dry the bike, but an air compressor, I think you asking for trouble.

True getting water and dirt in certain ares isnt always the best for the the bike. but when riding in the raid you are basically doing the same thing by getting water and dirt in all areas of the bike.

The attachment i have modifies the aire flow from a precision jet to a wide open gust and everthing in between.

I would say just take special care and interest in ares that would be more affeted by dirt and excess water. ie... air cleaner, open intakes. ect.....

It's always wet here. I don't worry about it. have a blow dryer for when I wash it, when the lights go dim. Looks nice for the first 1/2 mile.......

To be honest,since I got this bike I have ridden it dailly(until the snow fell) I don't wash it daily,and sometimes it sits in the rain.I ride it to the lake every weekend and it gets to look like an old warhorse,but when I clean it,usually on fridays I do take the utmost care to get every bit of sand and garbage out of it and blow it dry.never will I put a high pressure wash above the frame and lower engine and I have treated my seat with protectants so that when it is sitting in the rain the stitching doesn't leak,bacause that has to be the worst feeling of all

NA worst feeling is when you see the rain coming and you remembered to pack the rain gear you stop put it all on and ride off into the storm.
Justa as it is about to stop and you are nice and dry , a puddle of water built up on the collar runs down your back.
It is a motorcycle and we are the riders we are suppose to get wet some times

You win! That wet trickle down your back never warms up!

Quick dry of the seat and general wipe down, but most important to me is getting the wet clothes off (no rain gear), hot shower and then time with the kids. My bike stays fairly clean but only gets a wash about every month or so, depending on when I find time. I don't like it dirty, but don't like spending the time washing it all the time more.

Back