free website stats program Rain Soaked Bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Rain Soaked Bike

DDogg

Let's say your caught in a good rain storm. The bike gets soaked. You make it home safe and pull it in the garage. There's your baby dripping wet. What's the most important thing you do (wipe dry, clean) to ensure the water is not going to give you trouble when you go to start it tomorrow? Is there a routine you go thru to check and dry certain items? I'll be riding alot this summer and I know I'll get caught in a storm. Would like to know what others do when you bring her home soaked.

I would give it a complete washing and blow it dry with my blower. Might as well being it is wet already.

I let the engine cool down then as Glider said, quick wash and blow dry. I pretty much do this routine every time I ride as its always raining here and its surprising how efficient you get.

You'll be surprised how fast you can clean your ride up if you get a blow dryer for your bike. A quick wash and dry is better than finding those water spots and rust on hard to reach areas later on!!!

I'd wash it as soon as it cools and I've got the time. Don't have a blow dryer but they sound like a handy item to have.

Bike is actually pretty dirty when I get caught out in the rain. So, it is wait for the rain to be over and get it up on the lift and wash it then dry it off. good time to check tire presure belt tension and look for anything out of the ordinary. (belt tension is not checked on the lift)

Since I ride to work everyday. I reveiw the weather plan for the next day. If I suspect rain again, I will wipe down the windshield, paint, and everything not hot, except for the wheels. If I don't have time, then I don't do anything.

If I think it will be dry for a couple of days I will clean the exhaust and engine as soon as I have time (like on the weekend).

I will then give it a nice "bucket of soapy water" bath, put her up on the stand and clean the wheels too. I have a two-motor blow dryer that puts out a nice warm drying air. Then Griot's Spray wax for paint, pledge for paint & chrome, and Bleche White for whitewalls. This gives me an opportunity to check all the spots that rust too, if I find rust any, I bust out the Never Dull and Mother's. I also have to treat the leather on my Ironbags once a month or so. This usually takes about three and a half hours.

I went through this routine a few times this winter in California. I didn't shy away from riding once because of the rain. Gotta love SoCal.

But coming in from a rain storm initiates a full scale red alert with my family when I walk in the door! I can't stand the idea of the scooter soaking wet, so I get the wife and kids all out there, hand them each a towel with instructions not to leave a single spot on the bike un-touched, (including the undercarriage, which is particularly important to me), and I then go in, take a nice hot shower, (Cat usually comes in to wash my back before returning to her assigned task with the kids), ........

Hey Richard! You've been falling asleep and dreaming on that scoot again haven't you!!
:lolrolling

Back