free website stats program Rain riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Rain riding

HoboJav

What's the best technique to help keep water out of my plugs/wires? Plug wires are new SE's, but still suffer from them getting wet in rain. My search results did not result in the answer I'm looking for. Serious replies pls.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the best technique to help keep water out of my plugs/wires? Plug wires are new SE's, but still suffer from them getting wet in rain. My search results did not result in the answer I'm looking for. Serious replies pls.

Some dilectric grease in both ends of the plug wires will help with water intrusion:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a wet environment and as yet have never had any issues when riding in the rain i always thought the heat from the engine would help keep the plug wires dry
However when the bike is not moving then i keep it under cover and dry

Brian

@Marcus, when I ride in rain or saturated road/highway, as soon as I start to downshift, my bike loses a cylinder. I was in the school of thought that the heat generated by the engine would help keep the plugs/wires dry, but even if I try revving the engine, my bike sounds like a lawnmower. I have to find cover, shut down, pull the wires off, and wipe off the plugs to get going again. @Jack Klarich I'll try the dielectric grease technique. I guess the small amount that was already on the Screaming Eagle wires was not sufficient enough. Thanks guys! Aloha!

@Marcus, when I ride in rain or saturated road/highway, as soon as I start to downshift, my bike loses a cylinder. I was in the school of thought that the heat generated by the engine would help keep the plugs/wires dry, but even if I try revving the engine, my bike sounds like a lawnmower. I have to find cover, shut down, pull the wires off, and wipe off the plugs to get going again. @Jack Klarich I'll try the dielectric grease technique. I guess the small amount that was already on the Screaming Eagle wires was not sufficient enough. Thanks guys! Aloha!

JMO on this ----But I think there is something more going on other than just spark plug wires getting wet.

Just a wee thought here if it is just the plug wires getting wet it may be the water coming up off the front wheel that is the cause of the issue
I have fitted a fender extender to my softail custom and my sportster to try and reduce the water from the front wheel when the roads are wet and over the last 4 years it has helped a lot

Brian

Back