Radio Volume

Discussion in 'Communications And Radio' started by ReefRider, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ReefRider

ReefRider Member

I have an issue that just started out of the blue on my 06 SG. I'll be riding and lose the volume on the radio. I go to turn it up and it shows front and rear speaker levels. I only have front speakers. I turn off the radio then turn it back on later and everything works fine. I have removed the outer fairing and wiggled the wires around and found nothing. On rare occasions If I turn the bars far left I can cause the problem. I then look for harnesses being pulled tight and once again wiggle the wires nothing.Never comes back on, I'm afraid if I take it to the dealer it will cost a fortune to track down, Anybody every have this happen?
  2. SirDimsdale

SirDimsdale Active Member

Hi, do you have the cd player? If so, there was a firmware upgrade that upgrades the radio via cd's. I can't find the link but I do have the cd and I can make you copies and send them to you with the instructions. Send me a private message with your address and you can give it a shot.
  3. ReefRider

ReefRider Member

I do have the CD player and it does the same thing. Shows front and rear speakers. The software was update within the last 9 months prior to this starting. This is a very recent thing that has popped up. I guess I need to find which harness has the rear speaker wires and check that out. I have reseated the radio harness a couple of times. Thanks for the offer but I will pass for now.
  4. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

I had a similar issue with speakers cutting out. Ended up being a chaffed wire in the wiring bundle to the radio.
  5. ReefRider

ReefRider Member

Yep gotta find time to pull it all apart
  6. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Like ReefRider says.. You have to pull it apart and if you dont find anything, it may be a defective radio.

Here are a couple of links I found on this site that may shed some light on your problem.

Good luck

Radio cuts out - Harley Davidson Community

Radio cutting out - Harley Davidson Community

You never mentioned what type of radio this was.

If its a Harmon kardon there is a manual in the down load section that may help
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012