free website stats program Race Tuner/Dyno | Harley Davidson Forums

Race Tuner/Dyno

franka

Been approximately 15,000 miles since I installed Race Tuner and had engine Dyno, total miles on bike 18,000. Starting to get some backfire under compression and at height of RPM just before shifting into higher gear. Question, "Is there an estimated number of miles after Dyno that the settings should be reset"?

Sounds like ignition is causing your problem. Check/replace the plugs and check the wires for a tight connection on to the plugs, also the resistance in the wires too.

Glider,
Is there a self-help tip on how to use an omh meter to check plug wire resistance, I've never done it before?

Glider, That 2nd PDF is a Great read. Great attachment for many people fighting electrical problems.

Glider,
how to use an omh meter to check plug wire resistance,

This is not for everyone but here it goes...

Last time I checked my wires, I read about 3.5K on the short rear one and about 7.5K on the longer front one. If you can, remove the wires from the bike and clip on your ohm meter to each end. Let the value of the lead settle in and then gentle move/bend the wire looking for a Large change in value on your meter. Of course No sharp bends but gentle bend the wire while watching the meter. The resistance will drift a little which is normal, (hundred ohms) but look for more than a couple of hundred ohms of drift. Of course, the less the better.

Here is a second test for dielectric strength you may want to perform.

Install the wires back on the bike. (using Die/grease). Take a 2' piece of hook up wire that has an alligator clip on each end. Clip 1 end to frame ground of the bike. Clip other end to the blade of a long thin screwdriver. Take a hand spray bottle of tap water and a few drops of dish-washing soap. Start the engine and spray down the spark plug wires. With engine running take the blade of the screwdriver (while holding insulated handle only) and rub it up and down the length of each spark plug wire. If the plug wire insulator is bad/poor, you will get a spark arc-over to the steel blade of the screwdriver.

If you pass both tests, change the wires anyway because the Colored Neon ones look better! :p

Sounds like it's just easier and better to just change 'em out to new ones. The wife wants to kill me for using all her Pledge, now you want me to use "her" dish soap!!!!
WAP.gif

Back