free website stats program Race Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Race Removal

mtmasean

I had done a search on here to see if anyone had removed the race from a cast rim without the bearing puller tool (which I don't have). I thought that you would be able to hit it out from the opposite side like you would be able to do on a car rotor but, there is a lip where the race stops. Which prevents that method. I also, saw where some people would heat up the rim while using a puller. My question is there a way to get the racer out without a puller or heat? Or is that the only way? Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

I searched for alternative ways to get the race out of the cast wheel on my Dyna. I asked several different mechanic friends (auto/airplane/etc.) for ideas, and came up short. I found a "forcing" tool that works on the same principal as the HD tool, but it was too thick to get behind the race. In the end, I paid an indie HD shop $20 to pull the races with their tool.

I have a feeling that is what I'm going to have to do too. I had a new tire put on yesterday and had a problem getting it balanced at Cycle Gear due to the bearing. We called HD which was next door to see how much they would charge just to balance the tire and they wanted $44 just to do that. I can only imagine how much for them to remove using there tool. My guess the same price which is there half hour rate.

Yeah, went to the HD shop they wanted $44.50 to knockem out and would put the new ones in. They said they would squeeze me in this afternoon sometime. Went to Eddie's Cycle in Jacksonville, $10.00 while I waited and seated the new ones for me. Took him longer to find the puller than it did to knockem out. lol

Should be back on the road this evening.:s

Even with a bearing puller they can be a bit of a pest to get out without heat

Brian

I got a cheapy wheel bearing remover on eBay $22. Do a eBay search, you will see it there.
Ken

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to check ebay out too. It wouldn't hurt to have one for future use if I can get it that cheap Ken.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to check ebay out too. It wouldn't hurt to have one for future use if I can get it that cheap Ken.

I bought mine for a one off job about 12 years ago it has had a lot more than the anticipated use it is not often used but sometimes only the right tool can do the job
Money spent on tools is just an investment for the future

Brian

I have done this on every car, trailer,truck bearing race but not on a HD.....

I take my wire feed and run a bead on the inside of the race all the way around.. Let it sit for a minute and lean wheel and usually Falls out No tap necessary..The welding shrinks the race and Really YOU don't get a casting too hot this way...
Just be careful on the welding,,, My living so I do a careful good job....

No HD's cause I take wheel off and in to let HD or indy do it.......:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

I remove all neck n wheel races and bye simply welding a bead on the race ,it will fall rite out everytime 100% . if you have acceses to a welder cost is abut 10 cents in wire or rod

Back