free website stats program Race ECM tuning | Harley Davidson Forums

Race ECM tuning

Scrounger

When you add the race ECM, I've been told the throttle position sensor or throttle itself needs to be adjusted. What exactly has to be done when you get your hand on the race ECM and have it installed.

Thanks.

Matthew

The throttle position sensor is a potentiometer or variable resistor. It is mechanically coupled to the throttle body butterfly. You must synchronize (or adjust) this mechanical information to the ECM so that when the butterfly is fully closed, the ECM sees that as a "Zero" reading and when the butterfly is 100% open the ECM sees that as "WOT" position.

The adjustment you make assures that the ECM knows what "Closed " is and what "WOT" is.
The process to perform this adjustment varies according to the brand or make of the system.

Hoop!

the Screamin Eagle tuners do not need to have anything done to the throttle body or the TPS as that is one of the variables that you cannot affect on the tuning.
with items like the PCIII you do whats known as a sweep test with the bike on but not running to set the WOT and zero marks same with the Vance and Hines Fuelpak.
As you have posted this in the Buell section i am assuming you have an older Buell and looking to put the older Buell tuner on the bike, this is basically plug and play and no TPS adjustment needed.
Do you have any more info - bike, year, Tuner?

Hobbit

The bike is a 2006 Ulysses and I bought a Buell Race ECM from ebay. Was told I would need to do more than just plug and ride.

Matthew

Back