free website stats program Quick question on Break in | Harley Davidson Forums

Quick question on Break in

BuffaloBill

Hello gang

Well I picked up the new RKC (09) 0 miles from the dealer and was able do the 30/60/30 break in However I am concerned about the 55MPH for the ist 500 miles i blew that out the window I attemted to do 55MPH after the intial 30/60/30 and almost got stuck from behind by the trafic on I-10 best I could do was vary the speed between 60-70 mph thru 5th and 6th gear. Bike seemed ok after the 130 miles No funny sounds Hope I did not harm it

PS Love the New ride, NO REGRETTS
Your thoughts are appreciated,
Merry Christmas
BuffaloBILL

you aint gonna have done no damage to it

NOW THAT SAID IT ALL (Hobbit)

If YOU REV IT UNTIL REV-LIMITER comes into play IN EACH GEAR I'd call that ready for damage...

SMOOTH on the throttle and NOT high rev of engine will NOT hurt the motor..

SUGGESTED speeds and gears from HD are JUST THAT.. SUGGESTED

I stayed OFF the main hgy.s and took all the back little roads so I could VARY my speed every little bit.. up and down thru the gears and around and around until i had 100 miles. EACH time out AFTER that I drove NORMAL and a LITTLE on it, up to desired speed then a little more each time out...

GLAD you did the 30/60/30 to break-in the rings..YOU will have a much better bike for that!

TO ME varied speed-gear and EASY DOES IT is the important thing to do on a NEW motor.. NOT a constant speed!!! A lot of members here have their OWN ideas for break-in but IMO you've done/doing fine...

LUGGING a new motor will do more harm than a little over recommended speed-rpm ratio...

JUST MY WAY....

signed....BUBBIE

Hello gang

Well I picked up the new RKC (09) 0 miles from the dealer and was able do the 30/60/30 break in However I am concerned about the 55MPH for the ist 500 miles i blew that out the window I attemted to do 55MPH after the intial 30/60/30 and almost got stuck from behind by the trafic on I-10 best I could do was vary the speed between 60-70 mph thru 5th and 6th gear. Bike seemed ok after the 130 miles No funny sounds Hope I did not harm it

PS Love the New ride, NO REGRETTS
Your thoughts are appreciated,
Merry Christmas
BuffaloBILL

I think all you need to do is keep it under 4k rpm and you'll be okay.

As Bubbie and Hobbit stated, vary speeds, do not lug the engine in too high a gear and you will be fine. Do perform the 1st oil and lube changes early. You will be surprised about how much fine metal particles will be picked up on the magnetic drain plug due to normal breakin...think of all the machined surfaces having imperfections that have to be "gently" lapped together to a microfinish...those wear particles being collected by the magnet doing its' job will decrease in quantity to nothing.

Last edited:
Back