free website stats program Quick fix for ventillating a belt primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Quick fix for ventillating a belt primary

fpd4308

When I put my bike together with a closed belt primary I didnt put much thought into ventillating and cooling the dry clutch. Today a few folks on here brought that fact to my attention, thanks guys, so I started putting some thought into a way to add some ventillation. This is what I came up with.

I had a speaker cover for some speakers that I installed into my truck. The speaker cover grill is metal and the holes in it were about the size of a pencil lead. I took apart the cover and removed the grill. I flattened it with a rubber mallet and traced the primary inspection cover onto it. I cut around the lines, smoothed the edges and installed it in place of the chrome inspection cover.

Now I could probably buy something just like this but A) I don't have any money and B) I was bored and needed something to do. Anyway I think it came out pretty good. Can anyone think of any problems I didn't foresee with this?

Thanks all

fpd4308-albums-primary+ventillation+1-picture5063-inspection_cover_1.jpg

fpd4308-albums-primary+ventillation+1-picture5064-inspection_cover_2.jpg

Looks good.:s I'd try to get a "take off" derby cover from a local shops junk pile and do your magic on it, maybe drill or cut your initials in it, then paint to match the inspection cover. That would allow air to "flow" through the primary. What size is your primary belt, do you use an idler roller for tension?

That will work fine, what belt set up are you running?

I might actually have to spend the money and get a cool looking vented derby cover. Breeze, there is no idler roller. Jack, I am not really sure what model primary this is. When I bought the bike, in milk crates full of parts, it was in one of the parts boxes so I installed it. It pretty much looks like this one:

8mm Bolt-In Enclosed Primary Belt Drive Kit for 1970-1984 Harley Big Twin - www.debrix.com

Thanks, as always, for eveyones help and advice.
Doug

So you have to slide the tranny to adjust the belt? Is it too tight?

So you have to slide the tranny to adjust the belt? Is it too tight?

honestly I dont really see any way to adjust tension on the belt. You cant slide the tranny because the mainshaft goes through the hole in the inner primary. After I did a little looking on the internet I am pretty sure it is the BDL Closed Belt Drive Kit. I guess if the belt stretches and gets loose you have to buy a new belt. Here is the link to the kit

http://www.beltdrives.com/evb2sl.html

Back