Quick Disconnect Fuel line leaking!! Help

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by NYHarley, Jun 8, 2010.

1. NYHarley

NYHarley Active Member

Ok, finally got my bike back together today, turned it on and the quick connect fuel line was leaking under the tank. It doesn't leak if it is disconnected but when I connect it, flows all over. I have reconnected it a bunch of times hoping it was not seated right, but still leaking. I hope I don't need a new fitting, I just got that tank all buttoned up (fuel pump assembly). If you guys know any fixes let me know, otherwise it looks like I am pulling the fuel pump again!

2. Shifter

Shifter Active Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Thanks!

If everyone would spend just 5 minutes learning what's in the Self Help Tips section, they'd be amazed what's in there!

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Self Help Tips section.....where's that? :lolrolling:good

5. NYHarley

NYHarley Active Member

I did do a quick search, but came up short. I was trying to search and post mobile, sometimes its a pain. Anyway, I went to the dealer and purchased a new check valve for the tank. The service manager said to make sure the o ring in the check valve was seated correctly before changing it. I did check it and spin it around with a hook pick, it improved but would still seep out very slightly. So I pulled the pump (again) and installed the new check valve. I guess the new quick disconnect Harley uses is a one time use part..... Thanks for the info and help, sorry I didn't search more throughly, I was in a rush while working.

6. Shifter

Shifter Active Member

Hey, no big deal! Glad you got it fixed. I have a friend who fixed his leak after searching all over town and the internet for a replacement o-ring for that application. I think he finally got one to work that wouldn't leak from a stash of ones we had at work. His bike was down for over a week while he looked! Good thing you were able to repair it yourself. I hear the parts/fix isn't cheap, dealer wise!

7. Dr. Dolittle

We'll let it slide.....this time!!:p

8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I wish I could spend just 5 minutes in the tips section. I usually emerge an hour later after getting distracted by all the neat stuff.:bigsmiley30:

9. Dr. Dolittle

Thanks - you made my point for me!

10. PanheadAndy

PanheadAndy New Member

Just for everyone's info.If you call Harley they will tell you thats not a repairable part and you have to buy a new tank fitting.That is false.Inside the fitting are two o rings.The bottom one is the one that starts leaking.The top one rarely needs replacing as it just holds the barb inside the fitting.They can be purchased from McMaster.Just do a search for McMasterThe McMaster part number is -905.The o ring deminsions are inside .414 outside .558 with a thickness of .072 If your on the road and it starts leaking an emergency fix is to go to an auto parts store and get an o ring that just fits into the bore of the female tank fitting.Leave the old o ring in place and add the new o ring.Use the male part of the fitting to shove the new ring into place.It will hold til you can replace the factory o ring with the right one.When you replace the original o ring be very careful to get all of the old one out of the groove.