free website stats program Questions on TFI | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions on TFI

I have a 05 FLHR with true duels,air box and stage 1 download.
Is there a standerd setting for the Doback Tfi unit?:eam

With true dual and the tfi i could not get mine tuned in the standard setting were way to rich but barley adjusting them it was to lean ..

Each number on the pot dials equals one jet number change on a carb model so only go in small increments when adjusting the pots.

Not a problem walleye. This will not be a problem with this member any longer, they were removed for reasons similar to what were posted above. We get many trolls on forums that seem to delight in causing problems and it usually ends up that they have little idea of what they are posting.

Boy of boy. I am beginning to think (no pun intended) that some people are overthinking this TFI thing. If you just set the thing to the factory recommended settings it works great. If you want to tweek it a little, that is fine also. I can not understand why anyone would really need to have one of the "race tuner" devices that call for dyno tuning etc. These type of devices are designed for optimum performance though out all rpm ranges in a racing environment. For the life of me, I can not think of the last time a saw a Harley bagger going around the track at full tilt with his strapped on the back. Like many have said before me, "just put the TFI on and forget it". It is probably one of the most forgiving yet extremely effective devices for a Harley you can buy.

I agree retrop, I wasn't a member of this forum until about half way through the build on my 09 Glide and had already put the SE Super Pro Tuner on it. And then from this forum I discovered the TFI Tuner. It is a excellent product, I've installed 3 of them on customers bikes along with exhaust and intake upgrades since learning about it, and everytime I order one I just want to kick myself in the rear for not doing more research when I built mine.

Retrop

Your post is SOOOO true. I try to recommend parts or procedures that I KNOW work. I take into consideration the ease of installation and use of a part whether it be the TFI or another part and as a result can "cut to the chase" to save a lot of time and aggravation for members. Some members don't wish to be involved in "mapping" a unit or dyno tuning their bike and only want to get it streetable at minimal expense and time consumed, thus the TFI that I recommend accomplishes that very nicely.
Some listen to advice from others that have been down that road and yet others try to impress but in the end only end up looking like fools trying to post something they really don't know about or understand even thou they try to look intelligent and well versed in the unit.

I try not to mislead anyone in their choices but I consider these bikes "tractors" (no insult meant) because they are quite simple in operation and I feel that dyno tuning with expensive tuners not only costs a bunch of $$$ but is overkill for most bikes that are street ridden and not raced at the track. If a TFI can be purchased for around $250 and the more complicated tuners with a dyno tune will run $800-$1000 from a tuners standpoint, the benefits from the more expensive tuners IMO are overkill and the cost is not warranted for a street ridden bike.
There is no doubt that the SERT or the new TTS will give a finer tune on any bike but it comes at a cost that in this world of choosing an alternate oil filter to save $3 that some do, it can't be justified to go the expensive route in place of the TFI that will do a good job to richen up the lean EPA mixtures on the bikes.
If tuning to the max gives anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling after doing it, then that's great!
Me....I'm happy with the TFI and have installed many of these units without a problem and saved many people $700-$800 in doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"some people are overthinking this TFI thing. "

OH you do not know how right you are, if they would have just named it SUPER RACE tuner TFI.
TFI exceeds the needs of most street riders, There are a few Mods that seem to need the PC to get every last adjust it can to run prefect at all times but few really need it.
And if you going to get inside the engine there are other options for fuel managment they will do a better job

hit the nail on the head.
I learned about fuelers before becoming a member here but never saw the TFI.
I knew I wanted to add this to my bike was just waiting for the right time. I am inherently curious so I tried to learn what made it tick. Seeing the many questions posted I thought I'd pass some of the info that I'd learned but maybe I should leave that to the guys who moderate here. You guys do a great job, thanks, I've learned a lot here.:cheers

I put a TFi on my sporty yesterday (well Hobbit did and I witnessed the whole thing :D). When we started it up, it really didn't sound right so we switched the connections around to the two injectors. Then it worked fine. Is there a means of identifying which connection from the TFi should fit onto which injector or is it just a guess and see how it sounds. The only word written on the TFi connectors is Ford! No sign of front and rear.

Back