free website stats program Questions on TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions on TFI

slimjim47

1) What exactly does the O2 bypass do?

2) How is the idle mixture adjusted independently from cruising RPM's?

3) They make claims of the fuel metering being accomplished by load rather than RPM's. Can someone explain exactly how the load is determined or sensed.

I'm sure I'll have more questions so bear with me.

Thanks...Jim

1) What exactly does the O2 bypass do?

2) How is the idle mixture adjusted independently from cruising RPM's?

3) They make claims of the fuel metering being accomplished by load rather than RPM's. Can someone explain exactly how the load is determined or sensed.

I'm sure I'll have more questions so bear with me.

Thanks...Jim

The 02 bypass removes the 02 sensors from the system unless you get the one that keeps them which kind of defeats the purpose of the unit.

The idle mixture is adjusted with the #1 pot and the #3 pot is for cruising. There's much more info in the self help forum on the TFI.

I believe you are referring to the function of the throttle body and the TPS and the MAP sensor here. It adjusts the ECM which in turn adjusts the TFI also.

My question is when the o2 sensor is by-passed, does the bike run open loop? If so isn't the mixture 12:1? The sensor would have to be sending a reading to the ECM for the EFI to function closed. So does the bypass give a false reading to the ECM in order to accomplish this?

I just put mine on last weekend and took a couple of short rides and it's amazing how diff. a little more fuel makes. I set it rather conservative and still the bike has a whole diff feel. More throttle response, smoother running at all rpms, even some diff in the muffler tone. I love it. Thanks HD Talking for all the great info. Glider, Hobbit, Smitty, and all the moderators, you are a great help to all of us.

My question is when the o2 sensor is by-passed, does the bike run open loop? If so isn't the mixture 12:1? The sensor would have to be sending a reading to the ECM for the EFI to function closed. So does the bypass give a false reading to the ECM in order to accomplish this?

it runs in open loop the pots are what your using to basically set the mixture

Another query, when a sensor is disconnected or otherwise not functioning, doesn't it set a code in the ECM thus activating a check engine lite? If so how does the by-pass defeat this function?

Another query, when a sensor is disconnected or otherwise not functioning, doesn't it set a code in the ECM thus activating a check engine lite? If so how does the by-pass defeat this function?

bypass keeps it from setting codes

That's correct about the resister. It's a small unit that plugs into the end of the wire where the 02 sensor usually plugs into about 6" upstream of the 02 sensor itself.

I like to run the TFI without the 02 sensors for better control of the AFR to where I want it.

it runs in open loop the pots are what your using to basically set the mixture

What makes you say it runs in open loop when the O2 sensors are bypassed?

That's correct about the resister. It's a small unit that plugs into the end of the wire where the 02 sensor usually plugs into about 6" upstream of the 02 sensor itself.

I like to run the TFI without the 02 sensors for better control of the AFR to where I want it.

This is where the TFI site doesn't explain much. What AFR are you referring to when you say " where I want it"?

Without sticking the bike on a dyno how are you setting it up to this "where I want it" AFR? What is your "where I want it" AFR? And how do you know you are running at or close to your "where I want it" AFR?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is what is the AFR that this unit is attempting to target?

Or is it simply something you set by feel and HOPE things are within range?

The 02 bypass removes the 02 sensors from the system unless you get the one that keeps them which kind of defeats the purpose of the unit.

The idle mixture is adjusted with the #1 pot and the #3 pot is for cruising. There's much more info in the self help forum on the TFI.

I believe you are referring to the function of the throttle body and the TPS and the MAP sensor here. It adjusts the ECM which in turn adjusts the TFI also.

How is the #1 pot adjusting idle when your setting the pots at 2000 RPM's? I'm really lost on the idle adjustment and what the AFR will be at idle. I would assume the adjustment would be able to set the idle a bit richer than cruise. But it seems the #1 pot is a compromise between the two if its being adjusted at 2000 RPM's.

I'd like to know more about how it senses loads. If you have some connections and get an answer it would be great?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back