free website stats program Questions on Intake / EFI / Exhaust Mods for '07 883 | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions on Intake / EFI / Exhaust Mods for '07 883

4Barrel

Hi all - new to the forum.

I read a great post the other day by Richy1bravo on April 13, and it helped solidify the changes I want to make to my 2007 XL883 (I can't link this post b/c I am new to the forum).

I plan to do pretty much the same series of mods, but i'm hoping those in the forum can answer a few questions i have:

1 - Intake - I am planning the SE Stage 1 kit upgrade. my questions are:

should i swap out the kit supplied filter with the K&N SE replacement filter? Will I obtain any more performance? and will i still be able to use my stock cover (i like the chrome cover i've got).

Also, I read where one can simply construct the SE intake from individual HD parts. is this worth the hassle?

lastly, is the "heavy breather" SE assembly something I should consider?

2 - EFI upgrades: The Dobeck TFI seems like the way to go based on posts I've read here. I like that no re-mapping is necessary, so if i want to remove, I don't have to worry about reprogramming back to stock. Seems to give more tuning options as well. Are there any gotchas?

3 - Exhaust - I am close to deciding in the Cycle Shack slip ons, model MXL-330, which I undertsand are niceand loud, but not as loud as the MXL-130's. Input welcome here on user experiences with either/both/or other recommended slip ons.

I'm a newer rider, but am ready for more power on my bike. But so much ready to move up to a big twin. Besides, I have gotten attached to my Sporty, and love the way it handles.

Thanks in advance for any input, guidance, or just shout-outs.

Cheers

:cheers

Hi all - new to the forum.

I read a great post the other day by Richy1bravo on April 13, and it helped solidify the changes I want to make to my 2007 XL883 (I can't link this post b/c I am new to the forum).

I plan to do pretty much the same series of mods, but i'm hoping those in the forum can answer a few questions i have:

1 - Intake - I am planning the SE Stage 1 kit upgrade. my questions are:

should i swap out the kit supplied filter with the K&N SE replacement filter? Will I obtain any more performance? and will i still be able to use my stock cover (i like the chrome cover i've got).

Not more performance that is measurable but it is a better filter (K&N) than the one in the kit.

Also, I read where one can simply construct the SE intake from individual HD parts. is this worth the hassle?

That's up to you, many are looking to save $20-$30 by ordering the parts separate.

lastly, is the "heavy breather" SE assembly something I should consider?

Another good choice but it's personal preference here which one to buy depending you your taste.

2 - EFI upgrades: The Dobeck TFI seems like the way to go based on posts I've read here. I like that no re-mapping is necessary, so if i want to remove, I don't have to worry about reprogramming back to stock. Seems to give more tuning options as well. Are there any gotchas?

Only one here, the dealer doesn't have their hand in your pocket!

3 - Exhaust - I am close to deciding in the Cycle Shack slip ons, model MXL-330, which I undertsand are niceand loud, but not as loud as the MXL-130's. Input welcome here on user experiences with either/both/or other recommended slip ons.

The cycle shacks are a reasonably priced slip on that sounds similar to the older SE II slip ons. Nice sound IMO.

I'm a newer rider, but am ready for more power on my bike. But so much ready to move up to a big twin. Besides, I have gotten attached to my Sporty, and love the way it handles.

Thanks in advance for any input, guidance, or just shout-outs.

Cheers

:cheers

Hope that gives you some direction.

Hi - I realized I never followed up on this post, so thought I'd reply now that I've had some time on the road after my mods were complete. Overall, I am very happy with the changes, but have a couple lingering questions.

I did the stage 1 intake mod, and found the install to be easy, once I realized how to orient the new back plate. The harley directions were not very helpful, but other posts I found here set me staight.

I also added the cycle shake slip-ons, model MXL-330. NICE!

And, I went with the Dobeck TFI Jet Kit. After a little tinkering, and as others have posted here, I went with the factory settings.

WOW - I am riding different bike. Where I used to feel like the 883 was pushing as hard as it could at 55MPH, now, i move from 55 to 75 with a slight squeeze of the throttle. The bike feels more stable at all speeds. So, this was a "harley tax" that paid some nice dividends. Most of all, I feel safer.

So, a couple questions:
- with the stock back plate that covered the back part of the filter removed with the stage 1, could this be an issue if i get caught in a driving rain? and should the filter be cleaned more often?
- With the Dobeck, are there recomended sparks to use other than stock?
- Does anytone have input on Dobeck tuning dos/dont's?

So, a couple questions:
- with the stock back plate that covered the back part of the filter removed with the stage 1, could this be an issue if i get caught in a driving rain? and should the filter be cleaned more often?
- With the Dobeck, are there recomended sparks to use other than stock?
- Does anytone have input on Dobeck tuning dos/dont's?

No problem riding in the rain. You would have to cross a river to cause a problem.

Stick with the stock plugs from HD.

Check out the self help forum for some TFI tips.

Glad you got your Sporty sorted, looking forward to some pix of your mods and ride!

Back