free website stats program Questions on fork oil... | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions on fork oil...

strtgldrdr

I am going to Sturgis this year and I am planning on buying some new wheels. I want to go to the 21" front wheel and from what I've seen, I like the lowered front-end with this modification. I have been told if I don't use heavier weight oil on a lowered front-end, it will cause the forks to bottom-out, possibly enough to dent the fender on a braking dive or "pothole". Is there a suggested weight/kind of fork oil to use or is this theory (EDIT)? I understand the reasoning, but is it neccessary? I don't want to destroy the ride, but I definitely don't want to have to purchase a new fender either. Thanks for any help...:small3d023:

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome strtgldrdr, I would think the front forks have X amount of travel not matter what fluid you use, I have seen a few dents in the top of touring fenders but it was because of aftermarket brake line mounts or bells, there's not much room between the lower triple tree & fender when the forks are collapsed. With a 21'' front fender & a lowering kit I would call and ask fat baggers they test & have experience with the larger 21'' front wheels and have recomended using a lowering kit with them. They've always been stright up with me, good folks
Here's a link if you haven't dealt with them, and someone on the forum might have some hands on experience and can help you more, enjoy Sturgis.
Fat Baggers, Inc.

Thank you, sir! I've seen several bikes from these guys and never thought to contact them, thanks for your help...

One thing to keep in mind the 21'' front wheel will put your fender 2.5'' closer to the lower fork bracket, while heaver oil will help I don't think it's a qure. Let us know what you find out, I'd like to know.

Back