free website stats program Questions for the Kentucky riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions for the Kentucky riders

Ozoneman

Bikermonkey and Less and other Ky riders,

I'm trying to figure out a trip to Kentucky from Indiana. From Indianapolis I would probably come down through Madison, IN and take 421 to Frankfort, KY (supposed to be a nice bike road). I don't want to ride the Interstate highways so what do you recommend from Frankfort if I head south from Frankfort. I'm thinking I would head to Versailles on 60, then 33 to Danville and then on to Somerset.

I went to college in Barbourville so I know about Cumberland Falls. I used to go there a lot. So I might visit the falls again. My son will be riding his bike and I will have my wife with me. What else should I stop to see on this trip? What roads would you suggest we use? I don't want to ride twisties all day long (that will wear me out), but a few will make it interesting and the rest of the roads I'd like to be scenic. If we take 3 days for this trip, I'd ride down one day, ride around there for a day, and then head back the third day. Can you give me some suggestions? Are there attractions we should see between Frankfort and Cumberland Falls? Do you think Somerset would be a good base camp?

Sure thing, I checked into HD Talking kind of late tonight, bout midnight, I'll send you some reccomendations probably tomorrow of some rides I like. Till then,,

Sure thing, I checked into HD Talking kind of late tonight, bout midnight, I'll send you some reccomendations probably tomorrow of some rides I like. Till then,,

Thanks that would be great!

I may have to change my base location to Danville. I could only find one room in Somerset for this weekend and it is a smoking room. Wife won't like that. Danville has a lot of rooms available and they are cheaper too. Do you think Danville would be a good base location or should I keep trying to find something in Somerset?

Edit:
I found a non-smoking room in Somerset. They have a car show going on there so all the rooms are booked up so I was lucky and found a a place with a cancellation.

So if we leave for a day ride from Somerset, where should we ride? 192 to Corbin and then on to Cumberland Falls? How about the Lake Cumberland area? 92 east and west of Williamsburg looks interesting.

Last edited:
Ozoneman, Let’s assume a base of Somerset, due to it having a little more to offer than Danville. First I’d recommend a ride to Cumberland falls if you’ve not seen it. From RT.27 in Somerset take 914 east for about six miles, there’s a nice flea market a couple blocks off 27 and pick up 192 east. That’s nice two lane, scenic road, curvy but not twisty for about 18 miles until you come to the one and only stop sign. Go right about a mile and you’ll pick up 1193 on your left, it’s in the middle of a right hand curve. This road will end at the base of the Laurel Damn in about a mile, you’ll find it interesting. You’ll pass one left hand turn indicating Holly Bay Marina. From the base of the damn it will be the first turn on your right. This road takes you through the park, two lane winding to the top of the Damn and over it. Very scenic. This road will end at a Tbone in about five miles where you make a left turn still on 1193. This two lane road ends in about five miles into Rt 25w. A right turn will take you to Rt. 90 in about four miles which bears off to the right. This will take you to Cumberland falls. Keep going past the Falls and 90 will end back at Rt. 27. Turning right will take you back into Somerset making a full circle.

Another nice ride can be picked up downtown Richmond. Off Hwy 25 in downtown Richmond you will find Rt. 169. There is a stop sign and it’s a T intersection. Take 169 which is a very nice winding 2 lane that comes to a stop at one of the last functioning ferries. The Ferry boat will take you across the river. It’s free. Stay on 169 a couple miles and you can pick up 1974 another real nice scenic road into Lexington. In Lexington you can take Rt 4, New Circle Rd left to Rt.27, and head back into Somerset.

Yes 92 is a nice road off Rt 27, it winds into Williamsburg, dog legs left at 25W for a few blocks and turns right heading east again and ending into Rt 25e. You can pick up 11 off 92 out of Williamsburg and it ends into 25E as well if you want a few more curves. Both 92 or 11 ends into 25E and a Left will take you back to Corbin to I75 or take the Corbin bypass to end at 25W which will take you back to 90 across the falls and to Rt27 again.

There is a poker run this weekend on Saturday from Corbin at 10am that will take us on 92, 27, and 25. Feel free to join us. I can give you my cell number in a private message if you wish in case you run into issues on the road in this area or want to ride the poker run. There are a lot of good roads in this area. If you have a certain destination I’d be glad to offer more suggestions.

Thanks for the info. And as far as the poker run, we will be traveling from Indy on Saturday and won't get to Somerset until late in the afternoon.

I noticed another interesting looking road on the map between Williamsburg and Whitley City, route 478. How is that road for riding? It looks pretty twisty. Is the surface OK?

Depending on how much time we have Sunday, we will try to make a loop around. From looking at maps, I was thinking of doing what you suggested by going east from Somerset on 192. I'll look for your suggested route and take the 1193 leg to 25W to 90 and visit Cumberland Falls. After the falls I was thinking of continuing to 700, south a couple miles on 27 and head back east on 478 to Williamsburg. Then head west on 92 to 27 and head north to return to Somerset. How does that sound? How long of a ride would that be?

Thanks for your help.

Your route would take about 4 hours I guess. Be careful on 7oo, it's a narrow two lane with drop offs and a couple curves tight turns that have no warning, but it's a descent road. Havn't been on 478 in years, seems it was a narrow country road that was mostly wooded with older homes and a few old farms and coal trucks and loggers used it a lot, so watch for road trash. Enjoy your ride.

Bikermonkey, It sounds like I should stay off of 700 and 478, using your suggestions, what do you think of this route.

Sunday (Morning after arriving in Somerset from Indianapolis).
Do what you suggested leaving Somerset and getting to Cumberland Falls by 192, 1193, and 90.
Continue on 90 to 27 and head south to 92, then east to Williamsburg.
Continue on 92 to either Pineville or turn north on road 11 (which would be better?).
Head to Barbourville and then 25e west to 25.
Start heading north on 25 to maybe Richmond for the night.
How long would this take?

Next day (Monday), do your suggested 169 route out of Richmond to the ferry and continue to 33 and north to Versailles and head home to Indianapolis from there.

How does this sound? Will riding up 25 to Richmond from Corbin be OK?

These routes include most of your suggestions and I've noticed that a couple of the roads you suggested are in:
Kentucky Motorcycle Roads
so others agree with you.

Your route looks nice. I’d likely pass by 11 and continue on 92 ending at 25e. Heading into Pineville is ok, but not much there. I’d go left on 25e at that point heading back towards Barbourville and pick up 129 on your right just west of Barbourville, this is a real nice road that will end it’s self in London on 25. Keep heading north on 25 into Richmond which is good road too, you’ll like it.
Your choice to take 169 and then 33 is a good pick, I think you’ll pass the Shaker village on 33, scenic roads and the weather looks sweet for you.
I’ll be out on the same roads actually. A friend wants to ride up 25 to Richmond and 169 into Lexington, so if you see Seabiscuit, give us a wave.

Thanks for the input.

It will be strange to be riding around down there again. I went to Union College in Barbourville during the late 60s and early 70s. It has been so long I don't remember much about the roads. I do remember riding my 650 Triumph Bonneville between Barbourville and Williamsburg though when I had a lady that was going to school there. Made many runs back and forth. Don't remember which route I took though.

It is going to be strange visiting Cumberland Falls again too. I had a roommate that fell in to Cumberland Falls and drown. I had just broke my leg in a bike accident a couple weeks before and we went down to the falls to hang out. He and my other roommates climbed under the falls while I sat above with my broken leg. He slipped on the wet rocks under the falls. They didn't find his body for 7 days. That was hell for his parents and his friends.

We will be watching for you on the road. If you see a white Ultra and a black VTX1300 together say hey. Have a nice ride this weekend!

Your route looks nice. I’d likely pass by 11 and continue on 92 ending at 25e. Heading into Pineville is ok, but not much there. I’d go left on 25e at that point heading back towards Barbourville and pick up 129 on your right just west of Barbourville, this is a real nice road that will end it’s self in London on 25. Keep heading north on 25 into Richmond which is good road too, you’ll like it.
Your choice to take 169 and then 33 is a good pick, I think you’ll pass the Shaker village on 33, scenic roads and the weather looks sweet for you.
I’ll be out on the same roads actually. A friend wants to ride up 25 to Richmond and 169 into Lexington, so if you see Seabiscuit, give us a wave.

The road west of Barbourville, do you mean 229?

Thanks for the input.

It will be strange to be riding around down there again. I went to Union College in Barbourville during the late 60s and early 70s. It has been so long I don't remember much about the roads. I do remember riding my 650 Triumph Bonneville between Barbourville and Williamsburg though when I had a lady that was going to school there. Made many runs back and forth. Don't remember which route I took though.

It is going to be strange visiting Cumberland Falls again too. I had a roommate that fell in to Cumberland Falls and drown. I had just broke my leg in a bike accident a couple weeks before and we went down to the falls to hang out. He and my other roommates climbed under the falls while I sat above with my broken leg. He slipped on the wet rocks under the falls. They didn't find his body for 7 days. That was hell for his parents and his friends.

We will be watching for you on the road. If you see a white Ultra and a black VTX1300 together say hey. Have a nice ride this weekend!

The road west of Barbourville, do you mean 229?

Yea, my bad...229 is what you want, must of went brain dead there. You'll find a nice flea market on your left just past Levi State Park on your left.
P.S., Avoid KFC in Corbin,(home of KFC chicken) way too many people including me have gotten food posioning there.

Back