free website stats program Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question

BTW, I'm no NEWBIE. I've been riding since the mid-60's and I've owned over 45 motorcycles. My last three HD's all had Power Commanders and a dyno tune, and I was not impressed with the results. I swore this time I wasn't going to waste the $$$$ on that stuff, so I just went with pipes, SE airbox, and dealer download. My bike runs just as strong, just as cool, as my previous bikes did with the tuners. I was just asking opinions of whether people thought I would be damaging my engine going that way. Numerous people tell me that I will. I call (EDIT) on that and just wondered what everyone else thought. My last comment.......bubbie, if your post was meant to be humorous, you failed..........if it was serious......well..............nevermind.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes..I'm talking slipons, air filter, and download. Simple Stage One.

With explaining what your desired changes are you will need a tuner of some sort. The dealer down load is not going get you where you need to be and proper money spent would be a tuner. The addition of a dyno run/adjustment would be left for a build like Bubbie has discussed which by the way he is one of the guys who invented this engine performance enhancement thing.:s If you want to cut to the chase and not waste a lot of money which is going to be the end result with changes and not adding a tuner, then just add mufflers with a 1.75 inch baffle or less and leave well enough alone. Bike will gain approximately 5 HP sound good and pull a bit stronger than stock......:sd

BTW, I'm no NEWBIE. I've been riding since the mid-60's and I've owned over 45 motorcycles. My last three HD's all had Power Commanders and a dyno tune, and I was not impressed with the results. I swore this time I wasn't going to waste the $$$$ on that stuff, so I just went with pipes, SE airbox, and dealer download. My bike runs just as strong, just as cool, as my previous bikes did with the tuners. I was just asking opinions of whether people thought I would be damaging my engine going that way. Numerous people tell me that I will. I call BS on that and just wondered what everyone else thought. My last comment.......bubbie, if your post was meant to be humorous, you failed..........if it was serious......well..............nevermind.

If you've owned Harleys before then surely you know they run lean. Adding more air and exhaust you just leaned it out even more! Lean= heat. If you do nothing more then add a fueler to the mix you'll be money ahead and your scoot will run cooler.

Part of the lack of being impressed is to many times a person gets mesmerized by the hype/ talk of the would be tuner/shop. Then you agree with your decision and you are off to the races believing your expectation of work performed is beyond your wildest dream. Only to find out that after many hundreds of dollars lack of expertise of tuner/shop at best you end up with a inferior result that makes you wish you had gone a different route and not wasted so much money. Which I believe Bubbie was trying to share. So the solution you choose for your particular situation is a approved way of doing it and if you are satisfied with end result that's all that counts. Trying to start a discussion about engine damage with out being forth wright from the start with the decision that you have made is a bit slanted for the Members here can always give best advice when all info is given from the start. It seems as maybe you were second guessing your self the way that you started this thread.:(

The original poster here seems to be a bit of an angry person and I don't believe that we can give him any advice. But here goes. If you did slipons and air cleaner and only want to return your bike to stock EPA settings with a bit of useless increase in RPM then the dealer download is for you. If you want a little more go with a tuner. As Smitty would say Your ride you decide!

My last comment.......bubbie, if your post was meant to be humorous, you failed..........if it was serious......well..............nevermind.

Nothing humorous there in my post.. None meant. it IS what it IS...

signed....BUBBIE

Guys remember the dealer download comes in 2 flavours - street and race - for a basic stage one the HD tuner works perfectly, for stage 4 the HD tuner works perfectly!!!!
All this it's the EPA and thus tuner is cheaper and better and all your doing is giving the dealer money is bunkem - look at the price of thunder max auto tune $1000, harley race tuner $600 with cables and cd's hmmmm I just saved $400 for fuel and beer, power vision last time I looked $600, tfi $250?? Not looked in a while yeah it saves and works but the high end tuners nope, as for dealer flash they don't do that in the UK so it race tuner A N other, so dealer download = giving money away ------ HOW!!! explain please as the download will add fuel (afr), amend the VE tables, amend the spark, as well as a load of other stuff that I can't be bothered to go check because those that don't have it can't be bothered either. tfi adds fuel in open loop hence it defeats the O2 sensors to stop bike entering closed loop.
see downloads work end of its just bias or ignorance yet people will push the TTS do your research people who do you think developed the HD tuner????? Hmmmm think I will go away now I've stirred it up a touch, open eyes people, I've 100's of thousands of your miles using SE tuner and the new one with self tuning is Best Yet
WAP.gif

Oh and I'm hardly easy on my rides
WAP.gif

Oh as well before anyone says maybe I'm ignorant of others ive used, Tfi,fuel pak,daytona twin tec, nightrider Ied,power commander, SE both the flash and hard wired both on metrics and harley from sportiest to stage 4 dyna and bagger
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys remember the dealer download comes in 2 flavours - street and race - for a basic stage one the HD tuner works perfectly, for stage 4 the HD tuner works perfectly!!!!
All this it's the EPA and thus tuner is cheaper and better and all your doing is giving the dealer money is bunkem - look at the price of thunder max auto tune $1000, harley race tuner $600 with cables and cd's hmmmm I just saved $400 for fuel and beer, power vision last time I looked $600, tfi $250?? Not looked in a while yeah it saves and works but the high end tuners nope, as for dealer flash they don't do that in the UK so it race tuner A N other, so dealer download = giving money away ------ HOW!!! explain please as the download will add fuel (afr), amend the VE tables, amend the spark, as well as a load of other stuff that I can't be bothered to go check because those that don't have it can't be bothered either. tfi adds fuel in open loop hence it defeats the O2 sensors to stop bike entering closed loop.
see downloads work end of its just bias or ignorance yet people will push the TTS do your research people who do you think developed the HD tuner????? Hmmmm think I will go away now I've stirred it up a touch, open eyes people, I've 100's of thousands of your miles using SE tuner and the new one with self tuning is Best Yet
WAP.gif

Oh and I'm hardly easy on my rides
WAP.gif

Oh as well before anyone says maybe I'm ignorant of others ive used, Tfi,fuel pak,daytona twin tec, nightrider Ied,power commander, SE both the flash and hard wired both on metrics and harley from sportiest to stage 4 dyna and bagger
WAP.gif

????
Thread is about the stage1 down load, not HD tuners VS other tuners.

Back