free website stats program Question regarding the 833 vs the 1200 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question regarding the 833 vs the 1200

I was like you once. I had always wanted a Harley. I rode a dirt bike once for long enough to learn how to shift gears (20 min Max), The a buddy of mine let me ride his 84 1000cc shovel sporty. In 06 I bought my 883. Upped it to a 1200 for the 09 season. I've loved it, I would not have wanted to start out any other way!!!

If you do get an 883 you can always upgrade very easily. Plus, there is a pletherua of other mods one can do to a sporty!

An HD classified as a beginner bike...funny how perspective changes going from a metric to an HD...honestly an 883 or 1 Liter bike are not "beginner" bikes "necessarily" and Sportster has a better horsepower/torque to weight ratio eclipsed only by the Buell, V-Rod and such. For Solo riding either 883 or 1200 will be fine, and yes the Dyna family have lower center of gravity which many find easier to ride than the lighter, taller, but "flickable" Sportster. Since I started on metrics...they were even easier to ride for a beginner, but the thirst for torque and power will draw you towards the V-twin and if your wants and needs exceed the initial luster. Honestly I love the '04 Sporty, the torque and easy going horse power and rideability. Beginner bike or lady's bike...just a label...the reality is your bike is whatever you decide to make yours...stock or upgraded it will be yours.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of posts of first timers buying and riding their dream machines here. If you've never riden before, I recommend buying a used metric and bomb around a season. Scope out your next ride while you master your skills. My previous post didn't consider this only because I was thinking of a first time HD rider but, there are so many circumstances that work for one person that don't necessarily apply to another.

Good luck!

Nakkers mirrors the unspoken word regarding HD motorcycles...hard to say they are a beginner bike...600 lbs of motorcyle is plenty for any rider, novice or expert, young or old...was the base model for the customizer crowd and was more of a "starter" bike for bigger and better things. Early Sportster began in 1957...wasn't a beginners' bike then and certainly not one now.

I test rode a '09 1200 Sportster and really liked the ride (only ~30 mins). Following that, I went and bought an '02 883R. After only 300 miles I've decided it's not really for me. I have had various other bikes, mostly Jap to be honest, including the Honda VFR400 and Yamaha VMax to name a couple. The 883R has the torque, no doubt about that, but just doesn't get me excited to ride it, if that makes any sense?!
Ride a few if you can, and for longer than a 'quick' test ride if possible. Good luck.

I would go with the 1200, if you go with the 883 you will be looking for more power with in 6 months and will cost more up grading. If you plan on much interstate riding I would same up a few more bucks for a dyna or softail, better for cruising. Try sitting on them all before you buy, you can get experience on any of the bikes, the one you fit will be the right one,if you have extra power you don't have to use it untill you're ready for it.

hello all. thought i put in my thoughts on this too since i just recently (july) upgraded to a 1200l from an 883l. i rode my 883l for exactly a year before i totaled it out (my fault not the bikes). when i went to get a new one i decided to upgrade to the 1200l. i considered the deluxe but the left side of the motor kept me from getting a firm enough footing even with it lowered(the dealer had lowered one and put a reach seat on it as well) lucky for me so i was able to tell if i felt comfortable with my footing or not. so i went back to the sportster and went with the 1200 L. i put a reach seat on it to help with the extra inch and 1/2 or so of seat height as well as put lowering blocks on the back. now it fits me pretty good. things to consider if you are challenged in the leg height like me. i also noticed that the 1200 has alot quicker response when taking off from being completely stopped. i would have jumped on this bike when i was a new rider i'm sure that i would have not lasted too long on it. of course my 883 was carborated and my new one is fuel injected that part i love. i love the way my old and new sporty's handle. like everyone else has said they corner really great(unless you take eye off the curve then they don't do so well, lol.)
i agree get on them both and test ride until you are sure. i personnally do not notice the top heavy feeling but i started with a sporty so that might be why. i have sat on my hubby's heritage softail classic it does stand up easier but i don't have a problem with the sporty handling at all. just depends on what you are after. you can get saddle bags and tour pack for a sporty if you need the storage room.
good luck and do what you want not what someone else thinks you should do. you will be the one riding it.

When i started riding it was on a small bike and gradually over the years moved on to larger and larger bikes gaining experience as i went
when my wife started to ride she wanted a harley so a stock 883 it was to start with after a year i did the stage 1 and a year later she needed a big twin as most of her riding was done with me i was able at times to advise her of any improvements she could make to her riding and road behaviour
so if you are a novice rider and want a harley an 883 is a good starting point but keep it stock for a while till you are ready to ride with more power
more power can mean you can get into trouble quicker

Brian

Dude,

My first real street bike was a SE1200, absolutely loved it as a single rider bike, lots of power, looked good too. When I started riding 2 up with the little lady, I found it sorely lacking in room. The sporters does have a higher center of gravity than other models, but I found this to be a boon when carving the turns, reminded me of my old 360.
I think the thing to do as others have suggested is test test test that should help you make the right decision.

I have ridden bikes since I was a kid, and have owned street bikes from 250cc to 1200cc. I bought my first Harley in July of this year, a 1999 883C and I love it! It has plenty of power for my purposes and is not a difficult bike to ride at all. I use it for short rides out in the country where I live, if I were planning on doing long touring rides, or two up riding I would want a Dyna etc.

Back