free website stats program Question regarding primary fluid drain and fill | Harley Davidson Forums

Question regarding primary fluid drain and fill

Redman

I was changing my primary fluid and was wondering about the spec for the amount added when not taking off entire primary cover. I drained it while warm and added Redline for primaries(recommended by a friend who likes it). My question is this: The manual says fill until you can see in bottom of primary...do not overfill. It also mentions putting only 38 oz in if not removing entire cover and just the derby. I could see it before I used entire bottle of Redline but figured I would put in what I took out. Is there a picture of a good level that I can access so I can be sure. Runs great but I want to be sure I have enough or should I snatch up another bottle.Thanks :s

38oz is what it calls for. When I change mine I add another 6oz with the quart. I just use harley's primary oil.

I would only fill it to the base of the clutch basket,which is approx. 32 oz. The first time I changed mine I did it by the book (38 oz.) and it would lurch on start-up and engage too harshly,drained it doen to the base of the clutch basket and after about 100 miles it was back to normal

The wet muti plate clutch uses a thin film of oil to create a suction effect between the friction and plain plates just like a rubber sucker on a window a little bit of fluid helps it grip
add a little more fluid it'll be hard to break the grip add more and it'll just slip
so getting the correct level of oil in the primary is essential to a good clutch operation

Brian

I just changed mine and added the 38 oz that my manual says to add. I have had no issues with the clutch doing things it shouldnt. I drained the HD stuff and put in spectro chaincase lube.

Back