free website stats program Question re: 3rd Gear, 30-60-30x10 Engine Break-in | Harley Davidson Forums

Question re: 3rd Gear, 30-60-30x10 Engine Break-in

martysnarf

If all goes according to schedule, I'll be picking up the new addition to the family tomorrow!!

I have a question regarding the proper engine break-in method that Glider posted on here.

My understanding is that you have a very small window of opportunity to do this, so I intend to do it on the way home from the dealer. My question is:

Do I do it IMMEDIATELY? How long should I let the engine warm up for? The stretch of road where I can do this is only about a quarter-mile from the dealer, so it won't have much time to warm up. Should I ride it for 15 mins or so, THEN do the 30-60-30x10 trick?

Thanks!!

<I won't be able to sleep tonight- I'm so excited!!!> :D

Hey Marty,

Good luck with the new toy!

Here's what I did with my 2009 RK. I combined the manuals "ride it easy method" for the first 500 miles, then I followed the break in proceedure I found here (30-60-30). after that I just rode it like I wanted to.

So far, all is well, no oil consumtion at all. Had my 1,000 mile service 2 weeks ago and there were no problems (other that the locking mechanism on both saddle bags came loose and fell off).

It just seems harsh to put an engine through that much punishment right out of the box. JMO

Enjoy the new ride :)

Back