free website stats program Question on wiring when changing handle bars | Harley Davidson Forums

Question on wiring when changing handle bars

Carroll B

The stock bars on my 2005 XL883 are to low and too far forward making it uncomfortable to ride so I plan to change them. I see no way to add risers or perhaps buckhorn bars without extending the wiring. I'm an electronic engineer so cutting and splicing the wires is no problem. My question is as long as I use the same guage wire do you see any problem cutting the wires, splicing in 6-10 inches of any color wire as long as the same color wires are in the wiring connectors? I hope I explained that so you can understand. If I have a green wire with a black stripe, would there be a problem extending this wire using a black wire in the middle? I've seen a wiring harness on Flea Bay for about $20 that I could use for the splicing and it would have all the correct color wires but now I can't find the ad.

Thanks Hobbit. I guess I will get the bars and or risers, then measure the cables, wiring, and brake lines. I found the wiring harness on Flea Bay tonight for $20 if I need to extend the wires. I think changing the bars may be a winter project. I'm enjoying riding the bike too much now to spend a weekend making the changes. Since this is the first bike I've had in 17 years my plastic has suffered since I needed a riding jacket, T-bag, shop manual, and windshield. The new bars may have to wait a couple of months.

The wiring harness on Flea Bay is about 5 feet long with all the different color wires. Seems like you could find a couple of people who need to extend the wires due to changing the bars and 3-4 of you spilt the $20-$25 cost of the longer wiring harness. The 12 inch one from J&P should be all anyone would need too.

Just remember, electricity knows no color. As long as the wire is of the same material (copper, aluminum etc.) and gauge, you should be fine with any stranded wire.

Back